Clayton Audio Class A amps. Need amp advice

Hi Guys,

I am looking to change my amps and for a few reasons.

First because I just upgraded my DAC from the great PS Audio DirectStream to the incredible Bricasti M1 DSD USB DAC. I love the Bricasti and it has shown that in my system it could offer me more with a more resolving and neutral amp IMO.

I am currently am using the wonderful sounding CJ Premier 12 mono tube amps. I love them and tubes in general but my speakers are the great Ascendo C8 Renaissance and look to present a somewhat benign load being 88 efficient and 6ohm but they are unique and have an internal firing 21 cm Kevlar Bass driver that is great but stubborn and the speakers I think will really shine with a iron fist control of that driver.

I love tubes, always have and always will but I grown tires of a flabby bottom which is exasperated by a unique and somewhat difficult to grip bass driver set up I spoke about above.

I want an amp that can give me as much tube sound as possible but with Grip and bottom end. I know this is a lot to ask for in the used $5k to $7k price range.

I have read and it seem like the Clayton offer exactly what I am looking for but wanted to hear from some of you guys if anyone has ever heard them or know of them or anything. Any info would really be appreciated. Here is the info on my speakers and I will also list the rest of my system in case you think that is helpful. Thanks

C8 Renaissance
Technical Data
Principle
• Three-Way with SASB bass unit (TOS Off)
(current damped outer driver with semi symmetrical band pass)
• Four-Way with SASB bass unit (TOS On)
Dimensions (W/H/D)
• 28 / 80 / 40 (without Base)
• 28 / 108 / 40 (with Base)
Weight
35 kg
Frequency Range
29 Hz (-3 dB) – 32.000 Hz
Power Rating
350 W Program (min)
Impedance
6 Ohm
Sensivity
88 dB / 1W/m
Outer Chassis (COAX)
• 25 mm Neodymium-fabric-tweeter
• 18 cm Woofer with XP cone
Inner Chassis
• 21 cm Chassis, Kevlar cone
TOS Chassis
• Ribbon-tweeter
TOS Function
• switchable (TOS Unit - Dipole AN / AUS)
Sockets
• Single / BiWiring Base
Dimensions (W/H/D)
28 / 18 / 40 cm
Weight
11 kg

Ascendo C-8 Renaissance Speakers (Germany) Speaker
Purist Audio Design Corvus Praesto Revision 2.5m Bi-Wire Speaker cable
Darwin TRUTH Pure Silver Reference 1 Meter RCA Interconnect
Darwin TRUTH Pure Silver Reference 1 Meter RCA Interconnect
Bricasti M1 USB / DSD / Volume Control DAC (New) DA converter
Tellurium Q BLACK DIAMOND Reference USB Cable
Decware ZSTAGE External Triode Output StageTelefunken ECC801S
Audio Research REFERENCE 1 MK II w/Rhodium IEC/NOS Tubes Tube preamp
PS Audio PowerPlant Premier AC Regenerator
Conrad Johnson Premier 12 Mono's 140 Watts Tung-Sol KT120's Tube amp
Salamander Amplifier Stands (2) Synergy System AV Furniture Stand
BMI Shark Jeweler Grade Platinum 9 AWG AC Power Cable
Mad Scientist PC-NEO with Power Purifier 11 AWG Power Cable
Sablon Audio Petite Corona 2.0M 7 AWG AC Power Cable
JPS Labs The Power AC+ 2M 8 AWG AC Power Cable
Synergistic Research Labs Tesla Series SE T1 AC Power Cable
Synergistic Research Labs Tesla Series T1 AC Power Cable
PS Audio Noise Harvester (5) Converts noise to light
OYAIDE RI Beryllium Power Outlets (2)
Blue Circle Audio The Yalu Balula Industrial Surge/Spike Protection
JPLAY v5.2 hi-end audio player turns PC into a digital transport.
Fidelizer Pro Version 6.1
JRiver Media Center 19 Music Software
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xfsmithjack

Showing 5 responses by zd542

You're Premier 12's are very "classic" sounding tube amps. They're a textbook example of a traditional, laid back sounding, warm type of amp. You don't, necessarily have to get rid of tubes altogether, you may be happy with a more modern sounding tube amp. You would probably like one of the more powerful offerings from ARC, Quicksilver or Rogue. Or possible even a newer amp from CJ. The newer CJ amps sound much more modern than your 12's.
"That's what I thought about the Ayre Integrated but he swears its the best sounding amp under $20k bar none. He is so dead set serious on it."

People say a lot of things. If that were the case, then why does Ayre make amps that cost more than the one your friend has? Also, looking at some of the other recommendations, and your responses to them, you appear to be flying out of control here. Before you take anyone's advice, including mine, you need to do some listening before you buy anything. Otherwise, you'll just make a costly mistake.
"Any feedback is welcomed!!!! Thx"

Are you sure about that? Or is it just the feedback that you want to hear?

"Flying out of control?? How do you come up with that. Who says that? I have it boiled down to 2 amps and am asking for other members opinions and if others offer new other ideas then great I would love to hear them."

Read your posts again. It doesn't sound like you have it boiled down to 2 choices.

"Thanks for the response and in that review and all the others they totally gush over these speakers and say the bass is amazing in these speakers. They actually get a lot of accolades for their deep, controlled, tuneful and musical bass but your right they don't have that true high end Wilson, Magico, Focal bass slam but heck 95% of the speakers out there under $12,000 don't have that. I thought about the speakers but before these I was on the Merry go round and had Kharma CRM 3.2FE, Wilson Sohpia 2, Wilson Watt/Puppy 6, Revel Studio, Martinlogan Vantage then Spire, Sonus Faber Cremora Auditor, Merin TSM-MMI not in that order but to name a few and in all honesty none were even close to these speakers. These are the best speakers I have ever owned and by far its not even close in my system IMO. They really are great and they resolve and image with a sophistication that was a total game changer for me. Its just after I got the Bricasti the sound improved so much I could then sense / feel there was more there and that stubborn for tubes critical Kevlar driver needs more grip I can feel it and I think then the rest will fill out even more and blossom but at what cost? That is why I am reaching out to my Agon comrades. I am trading my amps as part of the deal and really would love and get as much feedback before I take the big plunge. I have a friend that keeps pushing and telling me to do what ever I can to try and get my hands on the Ayre AX-5 Integrated. I never even thought of that and still have my sights set on the Clayoton audio M300 monos but what do you guys think? Is that Ayre integrated that good? Its tough if I give my beloved tubes which I am willing to do I hope to get overall better sound...

Thanks I do like them a lot but I have only heard so many different kinds so who knows there def could be better I totally see what your saying for sure. That though is still in my mind. I love tubes there is no doubt. There is a set of CJ LP140m on here that's a much newer pair of CJ mono's but I was thinking there would not be too much difference but maybe I am wrong on that and the new CJ could be a good option. That's what I thought about the Ayre Integrated but he swears its the best sounding amp under $20k bar none. He is so dead set serious on it. I would be trading my some gear and not a lot of money as I already own the gear. I might need to think more about those newer CJ's..."

To me, that sounds like total confusion. What would you have me do? Lie, and pat you on the back and say you're doing the right thing? Also, if you leave this thread open long enough, everyone will end up recommending everything.

"That would be great if I could just go to a dealer and listen and buy new amps like I am sure you are referring to but don't have that luxury."

I didn't recommend anything. How could I? I don't know you well enough? I gave you my thoughts on your 12's and listed a few brands for you to audition. But nothing more than that. I could be like your friend and tell you the Ayre is the best thing under 20k. It wouldn't be all that hard either, because Ayre is my personal favorite and that's what I use in my system.

"I have found the bigger the risk to more opportunity for upside."

That's completely up to you. There's plenty of ways to reduce risk. Buying blind by reading reviews and listening to strangers in internet chat rooms is no way to go about it.
Retail $14,000
Retail $13,500

For an amp at those prices, there would be no hypothetical anything. The only decision I would have to make, is car or plane.
"Clayton M300 mono's keep my BAT VK30 (older dark 6922)"

If your 6922's are dark, get some new ones.