Classical Music for Aficionados

I would like to start a thread, similar to Orpheus’ jazz site, for lovers of classical music.
I will list some of my favorite recordings, CDs as well as LP’s. While good sound is not a prime requisite, it will be a consideration.
  Classical music lovers please feel free to add to my lists.
Discussion of musical and recording issues will be welcome.

I’ll start with a list of CDs.  Records to follow in a later post.

Berlioz: Symphonie Fantastique.  Chesky  — Royal Phil. Orch.  Freccia, conductor.
Mahler:  Des Knaben Wunderhorn.  Vanguard Classics — Vienna Festival Orch. Prohaska, conductor.
Prokofiev:  Scythian Suite et. al.  DG  — Chicago Symphony  Abbado, conductor.
Brahms: Symphony #1.  Chesky — London Symph. Orch.  Horenstein, conductor.
Stravinsky: L’Histoire du Soldat. HDTT — Ars Nova.  Mandell, conductor.
Rachmaninoff: Symphonic Dances. Analogue Productions. — Dallas Symph Orch. Johanos, cond.
Respighi: Roman Festivals et. al. Chesky — Royal Phil. Orch. Freccia, conductor.

All of the above happen to be great sounding recordings, but, as I said, sonics is not a prerequisite.

128x128rvpiano
Maria João Pires playing the Goldberg Variations. Absolutely sublime. She made the recording Rowan’s the end of her career and you can tell she’s playing how she feels it. She doesn’t have  anything to prove, so none of the showboating you see in other recordings. But it’s clear what a showman she was without showing it.  
Tatiana nikolayeva, anyone familiar with her ? Listening to her Bach and Shostakovich On idagio 
Tocatta and fugue by nikolayeva as well as fugue in G must listen on IDAGIO 
I couldn’t get into their triple, it was a bit dry and uninspired For me
have you listened triple by geza anda, schneiderhan, fournier? Another great one is szell fleisher stern

ei001h:

I only have two performances of The Triple, the one I posted and another by the Eroica Trio with the Prague Chamber Orchestra.  I try to only post the stuff I actually own.   I have not heard the two performances you mention in your post.

As far as the  Oistrakh, Rostropovich and Richter being Dry, I'm afraid that sort of evaluation is way above my level of expertise and appreciation.  I'm not that advanced.  At my stage, I just rely on my Gurus to find the good performances.

Thanks for the post

Cheers
Ludwig van Beethoven

BEETHOVEN & MENDELSSOHN VIOLIN CONCERTOS

Yehudi Menuhin (violin)
Philharmonia Orchestra
Berliner Philharmoniker
Wilhelm Furtwängler
EMI  1953 / 1999    Mono

Notes:   "The two artist first performed together in August 1947, four months after Furtwängler was allowed to work again after being cleared of second world war offences by a de-Nazification court.  In 1933 Furtwängler invited Menuhin and two other Jewish musicians, Artur Schnabel and Huberman, to appear as soloists with the Berlin Philharmonic.  All three refused.  From then until the end of the second world war, Menuhin and Furtwängler   worked for the most part in different cultural worlds."

Beethoven: Philharmonia Orchestra

Violin Concerto in D, Op. 61

Allegro ma non troppo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5znyEn3bVI

Larghetto
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBmKcTIZWks

Rondo - Allegro
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3Ose2Tfyws

Cheers