Classical Music for Aficionados

I would like to start a thread, similar to Orpheus’ jazz site, for lovers of classical music.
I will list some of my favorite recordings, CDs as well as LP’s. While good sound is not a prime requisite, it will be a consideration.
  Classical music lovers please feel free to add to my lists.
Discussion of musical and recording issues will be welcome.

I’ll start with a list of CDs.  Records to follow in a later post.

Berlioz: Symphonie Fantastique.  Chesky  — Royal Phil. Orch.  Freccia, conductor.
Mahler:  Des Knaben Wunderhorn.  Vanguard Classics — Vienna Festival Orch. Prohaska, conductor.
Prokofiev:  Scythian Suite et. al.  DG  — Chicago Symphony  Abbado, conductor.
Brahms: Symphony #1.  Chesky — London Symph. Orch.  Horenstein, conductor.
Stravinsky: L’Histoire du Soldat. HDTT — Ars Nova.  Mandell, conductor.
Rachmaninoff: Symphonic Dances. Analogue Productions. — Dallas Symph Orch. Johanos, cond.
Respighi: Roman Festivals et. al. Chesky — Royal Phil. Orch. Freccia, conductor.

All of the above happen to be great sounding recordings, but, as I said, sonics is not a prerequisite.

128x128rvpiano
"Greenland, with a population of only just over 56,000, and most of that contained in a few of the largest cities, you could immunize half of the population in a good solid 8 hour shift."

I'm guessing you mean vaccinate rather than immunise.

The best case scenarios indicate 90% immunisation ( but only after the second dose in the recommended timescale).

No such figure is being offered for the worst case.

Anyway, how do people feel about the various Zenph re-recordings out there?

I feel that the 1955 Goldberg's by Gould were pretty good tonally. 

Very listenable indeed.
@cd318  - Sorry, you are correct. Vaccinate. Now, I'll move back to music. Sorry for the momentary lapse into something, uh, not musical....
The exquisite Brahms Opp. 117, 118, 119.  Nicholas Angelich is a pianist new to me, but I'm impressed.
@cd318      Although not my favourite pianist by any means Mr Goulds 1955 Goldbergs given the Zenph treatment are now very enjoyable indeed and if I want to listen to Gould's account then that is the one I pick up. I am really saddened that Mr Zenph's wizardry was assasinated by big record companies never to return. Shame on them can you imagine that Zenph could have brought Rachmaninov and Hoffman and possibly all the Golden Age pianists back to life but no, big business had to crush it till another centenary would come up and they would reissue hiss ridden reissues again and again. Just imagine a little collaboration and we could have been listening to musicians recorded from 60 years and more sounding as if they were in your home. No big business won't let the little man win. Signing off now in case I blow a gasket. 
@jim204,

"Although not my favourite pianist by any means Mr Goulds 1955 Goldbergs given the Zenph treatment are now very enjoyable indeed and if I want to listen to Gould's account then that is the one I pick up."

I feel exactly the same. I do listen to the others, though the original quirky1955 took a bit of getting used to as I had heard the 1981 first, but this is the one that demonstrates the advances in recording technology between 1955 analogue (or even 1981 early digital) and 2007. 

As for Rachmaninov, yes I wouldn't have minded hearing Zenph's re-recording of Ashkenazi's PC2. Or even Perahia's first try at Mozart's PC21.

The originals are still marvelous though.

"We did a sales call at Sony, and met with the president of Sony Music," says Zenph president John Q. Walker, recalling a meeting with Sony Classical, which owns the masters for the original 1955 recording.

"He took our demo CD, listened to it for three minutes, and said "Let's do albums."

Some more background here.

https://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=10439850