Classical Music for Aficionados

I would like to start a thread, similar to Orpheus’ jazz site, for lovers of classical music.
I will list some of my favorite recordings, CDs as well as LP’s. While good sound is not a prime requisite, it will be a consideration.
  Classical music lovers please feel free to add to my lists.
Discussion of musical and recording issues will be welcome.

I’ll start with a list of CDs.  Records to follow in a later post.

Berlioz: Symphonie Fantastique.  Chesky  — Royal Phil. Orch.  Freccia, conductor.
Mahler:  Des Knaben Wunderhorn.  Vanguard Classics — Vienna Festival Orch. Prohaska, conductor.
Prokofiev:  Scythian Suite et. al.  DG  — Chicago Symphony  Abbado, conductor.
Brahms: Symphony #1.  Chesky — London Symph. Orch.  Horenstein, conductor.
Stravinsky: L’Histoire du Soldat. HDTT — Ars Nova.  Mandell, conductor.
Rachmaninoff: Symphonic Dances. Analogue Productions. — Dallas Symph Orch. Johanos, cond.
Respighi: Roman Festivals et. al. Chesky — Royal Phil. Orch. Freccia, conductor.

All of the above happen to be great sounding recordings, but, as I said, sonics is not a prerequisite.

128x128rvpiano
Len , I do admire your faith but I grew up in a schooling system that was strict scottish prespyterianism and it was not a nice faith to young people.John Knox was pushed down your throat nearly every day as our savior from darkness. They just ignored the fact that he was responsible for the death of our rightful Queen Mary Stuart and when I stated the fact in class one day I recieved a thrashing from the teacher then a thrashing from the headmaster and worst of all a thrashing from my father. So my friend I will leave you to your faith and I'm afraid I go to the pit, I just hope they have piped Bach !!
jim , what happens here is not a blink of the eye in infinity .
Current Christian theology is of a mind  there is no hell , just heaven and nothing , And that you can go to latter with you wish to do so  with your last breath .I fully except to see you there .

P.S . I am fully aware of Knox and his minions , just don't let them win .
If you will kindly pardon the phrase from a heretic Len , Amen my friend and have a really good weekend.
Does anyone else listen to "Pipedreams " the wonderful 2 hour organ program
that is broadcast by American Public Media out of its St. Paul studios live every Sunday ?
6 to 8 AM in St Paul sadly .
Yet another absolute winner from ACRONYM, this time music from the rather obscure 17C Polish/German composer Pezel, his 24 "alphabet sonatas" for a larger than usual string band with continue.  Superb playing and recording.  If cottage industry operations can produce this kind of quality, I wonder why the big boys sometimes can't.