Classical Music for Aficionados

I would like to start a thread, similar to Orpheus’ jazz site, for lovers of classical music.
I will list some of my favorite recordings, CDs as well as LP’s. While good sound is not a prime requisite, it will be a consideration.
  Classical music lovers please feel free to add to my lists.
Discussion of musical and recording issues will be welcome.

I’ll start with a list of CDs.  Records to follow in a later post.

Berlioz: Symphonie Fantastique.  Chesky  — Royal Phil. Orch.  Freccia, conductor.
Mahler:  Des Knaben Wunderhorn.  Vanguard Classics — Vienna Festival Orch. Prohaska, conductor.
Prokofiev:  Scythian Suite et. al.  DG  — Chicago Symphony  Abbado, conductor.
Brahms: Symphony #1.  Chesky — London Symph. Orch.  Horenstein, conductor.
Stravinsky: L’Histoire du Soldat. HDTT — Ars Nova.  Mandell, conductor.
Rachmaninoff: Symphonic Dances. Analogue Productions. — Dallas Symph Orch. Johanos, cond.
Respighi: Roman Festivals et. al. Chesky — Royal Phil. Orch. Freccia, conductor.

All of the above happen to be great sounding recordings, but, as I said, sonics is not a prerequisite.

128x128rvpiano
How true Len how true, I shall have to look for his mass myself and although deeply sceptical of all religions I do admire pious men who do everything in praise of their God and are deeply attatched to earthly human beings. Bach and his contemporaries are the greatest of all human beings and composers just like their counterparts in great art. All you need to do is think of Leonardo and Michaelangelo, they have not been beaten by the centuries that followed them. I don't know about you guys but when I see todays "modern art" I am filled with depression and can only think "why" when I see the awful rubbish that is churned out ad nauseum in both art and music, it really does depress me . Now for some Prozac !!
It's hard to go wrong with Bernstein and NYPO, surely.  But then I have a weakness for Bernstein...
I find Bernstein's Mahler too sentimental for me but I do like him in many other things though.
Now listening to Francsco Piemontesi, Liszt 2 Legends, also  Annees.
Very nice
Has anyone heard him?
Yes I love his playing , I have heard him live a couple of years ago.He played Beethoven's 4th Piano concerto which was wonderfull and certainly a very big risk in one who is relatively young. I have a few recordings of his playing a host of things. He has recorded the first and second Anees and made a wonderful job of them and instilled a beautiful wistfulness in them with crystaline playing also.
If you like Piemontesi there is another player you should listen to  it.s Jan Lisieki a Canadian of Polish extract with a beautiful technique the same as Piemontesi. He is in his early twenty's and already he has produced a full set of the Beethoven piano concertos` which I have to say he makes a very good job of and he certainly has illuminated passages that other pianists just smudge. Yes certainly two pianists to watch.