Classical Music for Aficionados

I would like to start a thread, similar to Orpheus’ jazz site, for lovers of classical music.
I will list some of my favorite recordings, CDs as well as LP’s. While good sound is not a prime requisite, it will be a consideration.
  Classical music lovers please feel free to add to my lists.
Discussion of musical and recording issues will be welcome.

I’ll start with a list of CDs.  Records to follow in a later post.

Berlioz: Symphonie Fantastique.  Chesky  — Royal Phil. Orch.  Freccia, conductor.
Mahler:  Des Knaben Wunderhorn.  Vanguard Classics — Vienna Festival Orch. Prohaska, conductor.
Prokofiev:  Scythian Suite et. al.  DG  — Chicago Symphony  Abbado, conductor.
Brahms: Symphony #1.  Chesky — London Symph. Orch.  Horenstein, conductor.
Stravinsky: L’Histoire du Soldat. HDTT — Ars Nova.  Mandell, conductor.
Rachmaninoff: Symphonic Dances. Analogue Productions. — Dallas Symph Orch. Johanos, cond.
Respighi: Roman Festivals et. al. Chesky — Royal Phil. Orch. Freccia, conductor.

All of the above happen to be great sounding recordings, but, as I said, sonics is not a prerequisite.

128x128rvpiano
 In 2014 Mariam Batsashvili won First Prize at the 10th International Franz Liszt Piano Competition in Utrecht. 
Her hands seem very large!
Here is her winning performance:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HQDpQ5GF4k

more here, including schedule:
https://www.mariam-piano.com/
Normally I am more interested in pieces of music and less interested in who is performing. But there are exceptions. Last December I saw one of the most remarkable and memorable recitals of my concert-going career. It was a violin and piano duo consisting of violinist Patricia Kopatchinskaja and pianist Polina Leschenko.

I had purchased the tickets because I had seen the amazing Kopatchinskaja before and I wasn’t going to miss a chance to see her again, and she delivered the goods at this concert. But the most amazing thing about this concert was that both performers exhibit incredible virtuosity and both have energetic performing styles. Often the piano accompaniment to a singer or instrumental soloist is stolid and supporting. Not in this concert. Both performers were egging each other on and raising the roof as they went about it.

The program consisted of a Poulenc sonata, the famous waltz from Delibes’ Coppélia, the 1922 Bartok sonata, and Ravel’s Tzigane. Fortunately for everyone who was not at that recital, or the others in the tour, Kopatchinskaja and Leschenko were plugging their new CD. Which anyone can buy.

Here is a pretty good review of the CD
http://myscena.org/norman-lebrecht/patricia-kopatchinskaja-polina-leschenkos-deux-ingenious-exhilarating/
Here's another CD I really have to recommend.  I don't know if it's available over streaming, as it appears to be one those more cottage-industry, limited edition, independent types of production.

It's titled Phantasia Musica. Violin Music of the 17th Century, and contains works from around the time of Biber (though not Biber himself).  All of them are extraordinary, some culled from unique manuscript sources.

The leader, Antoinette Lohmann, plays superbly, the rest of the consort is just as good, and the recording is splendid.  This is that kind of achingly beautiful chamber music, gorgeously dissonant at moments, here performed with extraordinary expressivity.

If you're into Biber's mystery sonatas, this is a must-have.