Classical Music for Aficionados

I would like to start a thread, similar to Orpheus’ jazz site, for lovers of classical music.
I will list some of my favorite recordings, CDs as well as LP’s. While good sound is not a prime requisite, it will be a consideration.
  Classical music lovers please feel free to add to my lists.
Discussion of musical and recording issues will be welcome.

I’ll start with a list of CDs.  Records to follow in a later post.

Berlioz: Symphonie Fantastique.  Chesky  — Royal Phil. Orch.  Freccia, conductor.
Mahler:  Des Knaben Wunderhorn.  Vanguard Classics — Vienna Festival Orch. Prohaska, conductor.
Prokofiev:  Scythian Suite et. al.  DG  — Chicago Symphony  Abbado, conductor.
Brahms: Symphony #1.  Chesky — London Symph. Orch.  Horenstein, conductor.
Stravinsky: L’Histoire du Soldat. HDTT — Ars Nova.  Mandell, conductor.
Rachmaninoff: Symphonic Dances. Analogue Productions. — Dallas Symph Orch. Johanos, cond.
Respighi: Roman Festivals et. al. Chesky — Royal Phil. Orch. Freccia, conductor.

All of the above happen to be great sounding recordings, but, as I said, sonics is not a prerequisite.

128x128rvpiano
For lack of room, and time left on earth , I use what one could call baseball parlance in buying LP’s which I prefer over CD’s .
I look for a triple, by which I mean the work is the composers best(or close to it) and, the conductor and orchestra are in their prime .
One example is Walton’s 1st Symphony with Previn and the LSO . One of the greatest recordings ever made.I assume most on here are aware of this but if brings it to just one more will be a good day’s work .

Another is the great Vaughn Williams outing of the "A London Symphony" bySir John Barbirolle with his Halle Orchestra . Vanguard SRV-134.A caveat is Williams made so many masterworks you could argue all week as to his best .Her did however let it be known this was his favorite symphony .
My favorite symphony of Vaughan-Williams as well.  There’s a great LP of it with Vernon Handley on the Classics for Pleasure label.

On a different subject, I’m finally discovering the true treasure of streaming on IDAGIO. I’m finding whole new areas of enjoyment, such as Baroque opera.
One can get into a rut of listening to the familiar.  What a pleasure to serendipitously discover new masterworks.
Also, the sound quality is first rate.

Does IDAGIO have much early music ?I guess I’m in a rut but as Brahms op.115 in there with me I don’t mind .
Over the decades as they in reference to his music as "autumnal", I figured they were not talking about leaves .At 80+ I can tell you his music is comfort food to the elderly , as Claude Rostand put it , "a portrayal of resignation , melodiously enveloped in tenderness" .I still think that for pure intellect no composer was his better .

I have heard the Hadley and yes it is very good indeed . But Barbirolli had his Halle as sharp as the best German knife .