Classical Music for Aficionados

I would like to start a thread, similar to Orpheus’ jazz site, for lovers of classical music.
I will list some of my favorite recordings, CDs as well as LP’s. While good sound is not a prime requisite, it will be a consideration.
  Classical music lovers please feel free to add to my lists.
Discussion of musical and recording issues will be welcome.

I’ll start with a list of CDs.  Records to follow in a later post.

Berlioz: Symphonie Fantastique.  Chesky  — Royal Phil. Orch.  Freccia, conductor.
Mahler:  Des Knaben Wunderhorn.  Vanguard Classics — Vienna Festival Orch. Prohaska, conductor.
Prokofiev:  Scythian Suite et. al.  DG  — Chicago Symphony  Abbado, conductor.
Brahms: Symphony #1.  Chesky — London Symph. Orch.  Horenstein, conductor.
Stravinsky: L’Histoire du Soldat. HDTT — Ars Nova.  Mandell, conductor.
Rachmaninoff: Symphonic Dances. Analogue Productions. — Dallas Symph Orch. Johanos, cond.
Respighi: Roman Festivals et. al. Chesky — Royal Phil. Orch. Freccia, conductor.

All of the above happen to be great sounding recordings, but, as I said, sonics is not a prerequisite.

128x128rvpiano
Dusted off the Busoni for today. An unusual, somewhat disconcerting composition. But I suppose that’s Busoni.

So... what is it with Scottish genes and classical music? 100% here, half and half Glasgow and Peterhead.
Jim
forgot to mention, I share your view of classical music post Shostakovich
My teacher once said: "if it is not in tune and it is not in time, then it is not music."
@jcazador

my favorite violinist this week is Scarlet Rivera!
(hope i don't get banned from this blog)
I'll go you one better, J, at risk of being burned at the stake. "Hurricane" is the greatest violin concerto of the 20th Century.
Jeremy
I see where you are commig from but I shall not say any more on the Scottish Question as I don't want to get blamed for highjacking the thread so please all forgive me.On a completely different tone I see from twoleftears he has dusted off the Busoni. I have been fascinated by him for since I can remember, I love his Bach/Busoni transcriptions especially the Great Chaconne which is one of my all time favourite piano pieces. I am not too keen on a lot of his original material however I give his Fantasia Contrapuntistica an airing every now and then and I do like it a lot. If you want to explore more of his Bach outings I can recomend a disc by Nikolai Demidenko on the Hyperion label on which he does the ubiquitous BWV565 to great aplomb but he does many other great Fantasies and Fugues also and with hyper virtuousity to boot.

Up to you jim , you could scarcely be blamed of anything .

I’ll stick to our combo of iI duce and maggy .