Classical Music for Aficionados

I would like to start a thread, similar to Orpheus’ jazz site, for lovers of classical music.
I will list some of my favorite recordings, CDs as well as LP’s. While good sound is not a prime requisite, it will be a consideration.
  Classical music lovers please feel free to add to my lists.
Discussion of musical and recording issues will be welcome.

I’ll start with a list of CDs.  Records to follow in a later post.

Berlioz: Symphonie Fantastique.  Chesky  — Royal Phil. Orch.  Freccia, conductor.
Mahler:  Des Knaben Wunderhorn.  Vanguard Classics — Vienna Festival Orch. Prohaska, conductor.
Prokofiev:  Scythian Suite et. al.  DG  — Chicago Symphony  Abbado, conductor.
Brahms: Symphony #1.  Chesky — London Symph. Orch.  Horenstein, conductor.
Stravinsky: L’Histoire du Soldat. HDTT — Ars Nova.  Mandell, conductor.
Rachmaninoff: Symphonic Dances. Analogue Productions. — Dallas Symph Orch. Johanos, cond.
Respighi: Roman Festivals et. al. Chesky — Royal Phil. Orch. Freccia, conductor.

All of the above happen to be great sounding recordings, but, as I said, sonics is not a prerequisite.

128x128rvpiano

I don’t think I’ve ever gone out this far on a branch , in private or in public as I am about to .

I’ve listened to about every Glazunov Violin Concerto(and others) ever made in the last month or so .

Julia Fisher is the greatest violinist in modern times , She simply makes, name who you will , seem like an also ran . She does things no one else can .Never forces a note , tone steady form the lowest to the highest note, nonpareil control of harmonics, a natural ability to balance with the orchestra , magnificent dynamics with vitality and perfect inflection in every note . Similar to Mozart in her ability to make you think it could be no other way . For starters .

Of course I could be wrong and we all like who we like .

my favorite violinist this week is Scarlet Rivera!
(hope i don't get banned from this blog)
Schubert,

Thank you so much for alluding to Julia Fisher and the Glazunov.
Her performance made me fall in love with that magnificent concerto all over again. 
The very pinnacle of Romanticism!
Schubert

You are bang on about Julia Fischer she is by far the greatest violinist of ourtimes with musicality in every stroke of the bow. I can only name one more in her class and to me that is Maxim Vengerov who is every bit her equal technically but she I think has it in tone control . I have never heard he play a wrong note and her intonation is spot on ( I cannot say that for a lot of her superstar pals). 

Thank you rv and jim .

It not that I don’t like other violinists , I am in love with Nicola Benedetti, almost broke my dial finger when I heard she was coming to Minneapolis last year and bought the best seat in the house .

Of course the fact that she is 200% Scottish and has done so much in general for my DNA land had something to do with it . But I could make a list of dozens of others . I went hundreds of miles to hear Milstein and Oistrakh both of whom who I still listen to often and so on and so forth .

The simple home truth is than God gave Julia Fisher the entire package .

Thank you Lord !

P.S . rv, I put the Glazunov toward the top as well though Brahms is my smack dab tops . What makes the Glazunov so great is the same thing that makes the Brahms great , it is in superb taste .

So many sound like honey dripping off Perlman’s bow .