Classical Music for Aficionados

I would like to start a thread, similar to Orpheus’ jazz site, for lovers of classical music.
I will list some of my favorite recordings, CDs as well as LP’s. While good sound is not a prime requisite, it will be a consideration.
  Classical music lovers please feel free to add to my lists.
Discussion of musical and recording issues will be welcome.

I’ll start with a list of CDs.  Records to follow in a later post.

Berlioz: Symphonie Fantastique.  Chesky  — Royal Phil. Orch.  Freccia, conductor.
Mahler:  Des Knaben Wunderhorn.  Vanguard Classics — Vienna Festival Orch. Prohaska, conductor.
Prokofiev:  Scythian Suite et. al.  DG  — Chicago Symphony  Abbado, conductor.
Brahms: Symphony #1.  Chesky — London Symph. Orch.  Horenstein, conductor.
Stravinsky: L’Histoire du Soldat. HDTT — Ars Nova.  Mandell, conductor.
Rachmaninoff: Symphonic Dances. Analogue Productions. — Dallas Symph Orch. Johanos, cond.
Respighi: Roman Festivals et. al. Chesky — Royal Phil. Orch. Freccia, conductor.

All of the above happen to be great sounding recordings, but, as I said, sonics is not a prerequisite.

128x128rvpiano
RV, I'll look forward to your comments.

FWIW, from an audio perspective only, something I noticed last night after hearing PC 1 and posting. I listened to PC 2 - contrary to my comments about the piano appearing left of center in PC1 (which I rechecked today), in PC2 it was dead center. Additionally the over all gain seemed increased as well. ??? Go figure. Obviously they were recorded on different days, and all of the variables that might bring, or my hearing/audio system isn't up to par. 

Changed to Biret/Naxos for PC2, nice, more distant perspective.

I think I have Arrau also on a budget reissue.  Must check.  The way the piano floats over the orchestral accompaniment in the slow movement is delectable.

I really can’t comment a lot on the debate over SQ because IDAGIO is not as revealing as my CD setup.  I can say the piano appears to be slightly left of center, and at least on IDAGIO the sound is full and warm if not extending past the speakers too much.
As for the performances,  I have more to say.
The 1999 performance is as I remember it live, if even more eccentric.  Wide (if not wild) variances in tempo make it hard to appreciate the music.  I remember when the recording first came out it was hailed by some as revolutionary or revelatory, but not by me.  I heard it live around that time.
The 19 year old Chopin did a remarkable job orchestrating this piece for one so young, but he never became a great orchestrator as he composed almost exclusively for piano solo. (Exceptions include a cello  sonata, a trio and some songs.) 
I much prefer the Giulini recording.  It’s more poetic and simpatico to me.
The orchestra is conducted with more authority. The 30 year old Zimerman is brilliant.
RV, thanks. No need for the '99 version I think.

twoleftears, I think you may like the Arrau. I find this performance a bit relaxed and very enjoyable. I think you will like the fact that the piano is more spot lit than Zimmerman's. FWIW, I haven't heard Biret's but she is one very talented lady. She has an large discography on Naxos of romantic solo piano works, including Chopin, Rachmaninoff and Brahms, well worth hearing.
I just discovered a pianist named Roland Batik on Spotify.
Wow, he is pretty talented, both Classical and Jazz.
Bob