Classical Music for Aficionados

I would like to start a thread, similar to Orpheus’ jazz site, for lovers of classical music.
I will list some of my favorite recordings, CDs as well as LP’s. While good sound is not a prime requisite, it will be a consideration.
  Classical music lovers please feel free to add to my lists.
Discussion of musical and recording issues will be welcome.

I’ll start with a list of CDs.  Records to follow in a later post.

Berlioz: Symphonie Fantastique.  Chesky  — Royal Phil. Orch.  Freccia, conductor.
Mahler:  Des Knaben Wunderhorn.  Vanguard Classics — Vienna Festival Orch. Prohaska, conductor.
Prokofiev:  Scythian Suite et. al.  DG  — Chicago Symphony  Abbado, conductor.
Brahms: Symphony #1.  Chesky — London Symph. Orch.  Horenstein, conductor.
Stravinsky: L’Histoire du Soldat. HDTT — Ars Nova.  Mandell, conductor.
Rachmaninoff: Symphonic Dances. Analogue Productions. — Dallas Symph Orch. Johanos, cond.
Respighi: Roman Festivals et. al. Chesky — Royal Phil. Orch. Freccia, conductor.

All of the above happen to be great sounding recordings, but, as I said, sonics is not a prerequisite.

128x128rvpiano
I have an old DG recording of the Tchaikovsky 1st symphony with the BSO which I think is one of the finest Tilson Thomas recordings. I recall he did some weird quadrophonic recording of Gershwin.

I think TT is one of those conductors, like Stokowski, who takes a hand in the final product of a recording — spends some time in the control room.  I’ve found that many of his recordings sound very natural.
Stokowski would do all sorts of weird things (like boosting the bass) that might not sound natural, but sounded very good nonetheless.
Schubert,

I’m sorry I gave up stamp collecting as well.
My system has given me, by turns, agony and ecstasy.
Sometimes within the same day!
I'll tell my deepest dark secret, I often gets as excited in my car over
music with speakers that cost Nissan a cool 10 bucks for the four of
them as I do with my system .

Well, there was that girl in Baltimore .............................