Classical Music for Aficionados

I would like to start a thread, similar to Orpheus’ jazz site, for lovers of classical music.
I will list some of my favorite recordings, CDs as well as LP’s. While good sound is not a prime requisite, it will be a consideration.
  Classical music lovers please feel free to add to my lists.
Discussion of musical and recording issues will be welcome.

I’ll start with a list of CDs.  Records to follow in a later post.

Berlioz: Symphonie Fantastique.  Chesky  — Royal Phil. Orch.  Freccia, conductor.
Mahler:  Des Knaben Wunderhorn.  Vanguard Classics — Vienna Festival Orch. Prohaska, conductor.
Prokofiev:  Scythian Suite et. al.  DG  — Chicago Symphony  Abbado, conductor.
Brahms: Symphony #1.  Chesky — London Symph. Orch.  Horenstein, conductor.
Stravinsky: L’Histoire du Soldat. HDTT — Ars Nova.  Mandell, conductor.
Rachmaninoff: Symphonic Dances. Analogue Productions. — Dallas Symph Orch. Johanos, cond.
Respighi: Roman Festivals et. al. Chesky — Royal Phil. Orch. Freccia, conductor.

All of the above happen to be great sounding recordings, but, as I said, sonics is not a prerequisite.

128x128rvpiano
Post removed 
It bothers me if one jerk  does it but not if the entire audience does it  .
My best moments are when 5 seconds of silence follows the last note .
Some pieces favor this with a great performance and other pieces the audience on the audience on their feet with same .
It is what it is .
Schubert,

I agree.  If there is a spontaneous reaction from the whole audience, that’s fine.
But, too often, there’s one exhibitionist who just wants to to be heard.

It’s so bad with the opera cliquey on "Live from the Met’ I just stopped listening to it .
Opera needs to be seen anyway, it’s half theater after all. .
IMO listening to opera at home is DVD time .
The classical repertiore is so extensive, I think the most useful response is suggesting some mainstream and some non-mainstream works that might open doors for those unfamiliar or minimally familiar with classical . These works are not necessarily my favorites but they might work to get the novice started.

Traditional gateway works

Symphonic:

Beethoven symphonies 3,5, and 9. Violin Concerto

Mahler symphonies 1, 4, and 9.

Strauss, Also Sprach Zarathustra

Stravinsky, Firebird and Petrushka

Tchaikovsky Violin Concerto

Brahms: Violin Concerto

Bruch Violin Concerto

Sibelius Violin Concerto

Chamber Music:

All Schubert Trios

Schubert string quintet in C, op163

Beethoven Moonlight, Pathetique, and Apsionata piano sonatas

Beethoven Archduke Trio

Non traditional gateways that might work, especially if you like driving rhythms or can tolerate some dissonance.

Shostakovich, Cello Sonata #2

Beethoven Late String Quartets

Bartok String Quartets, especially 4, 5, and 6.

Stravinsky, Right of Spring, Duo Concertante, and Violin Concerto

Also I recommend a book that is probably over 40 years old, but a wonderful introduction to the basic classical repertoire with recording recommendations:101 Masterpieces of Music and Their Composers by Martin Bookspan