Classical Music for Aficionados

I would like to start a thread, similar to Orpheus’ jazz site, for lovers of classical music.
I will list some of my favorite recordings, CDs as well as LP’s. While good sound is not a prime requisite, it will be a consideration.
  Classical music lovers please feel free to add to my lists.
Discussion of musical and recording issues will be welcome.

I’ll start with a list of CDs.  Records to follow in a later post.

Berlioz: Symphonie Fantastique.  Chesky  — Royal Phil. Orch.  Freccia, conductor.
Mahler:  Des Knaben Wunderhorn.  Vanguard Classics — Vienna Festival Orch. Prohaska, conductor.
Prokofiev:  Scythian Suite et. al.  DG  — Chicago Symphony  Abbado, conductor.
Brahms: Symphony #1.  Chesky — London Symph. Orch.  Horenstein, conductor.
Stravinsky: L’Histoire du Soldat. HDTT — Ars Nova.  Mandell, conductor.
Rachmaninoff: Symphonic Dances. Analogue Productions. — Dallas Symph Orch. Johanos, cond.
Respighi: Roman Festivals et. al. Chesky — Royal Phil. Orch. Freccia, conductor.

All of the above happen to be great sounding recordings, but, as I said, sonics is not a prerequisite.

128x128rvpiano
@newbee - my thanks. I'm not sure the entire body of Scriabin's work can be described as spare. There's a sound that I'll try and find a better example of, with fewer notes, more held notes. Appreciate the recommendations-- I abandoned classical for a long while, and this thread is helping me get back into things I haven't thought of, or listened to, in a while.
Whilst scurrying around for my Christmas CD’s today I found one I totally
forgot I even had .

"Christmas with Thomas Hampson " + Saint Paul Chamber Orch. under
Hugh Wolff . Teldec 2 73135-2

This is a 1991 recording ,still available, that caught the young American
baritone voice at it’s peak aka Mt. Everest . The SPCO plays about as well as music can be played to further his cause .
Rare for "Christmas" CD’s it is pure class from the first note to the last !

A double treat if you have any German, he sings some in the tongue they were written in in perfect German . In Germany today he is considered one
of the best in the Germanic rep. esp. Mahler’s songs .

newbee, you must have good taste , the Janacek by Firkusny is truly iconic. I wore one out, on my second ..Not totally wrong about  O-10 either .
Al., could not agree more about the Toscannini Brahms .

Post removed 
Not for nothing, but in a recorded live performance of a symphony or concerto, who is the guy who screams approval a split second after the last note is played?

Does that annoy you as much as it does me?
Or am I just a curmudgeon?
Post removed