“Classic” phono stages 2007-20013?

Hay gang, curious... what were some of the best/Classic of the “older tech” phonostages? Could be even earlier, just exploring that era of components!
geof3

Showing 1 response by frogman

If you do give it a shot (it is definitely worth doing so) and if by chance you plan on using only MM carts, you can consider the less expensive MM only/no MC version.  To me, the EAR 834P has an inherently superior sound without the MC transformers in the signal path.

Something else you might consider is one of the older full featured preamps with outstanding phono stages and use only its phono stage.  I still have my old Melos 222C preamp that I haven’t used in many years and decided to keep after realizing that to sell it I would have to practically give it away considering its original $3200 price.  It has an outstanding and very flexible phono stage that I would put in the same league, or higher, as the EAR.  

Some other older “classic” preamps to consider for their phono stages only would be the Quicksilver, Audio Research SP-14, perhaps even a CJ PV5 (I’m showing my age ☺️).  All could probably be had for considerably less money than the EAR.