Classic el34 tube amps versus current models

does anyone have direct listening experience on how the classic el34 tube amps of my youth (marantz 8b, dynaco stereo 70', conrad johnson mv45) compare sonically to the current el34 amps? i have seen some of theses older units for sale and have considered buyin one. i am in the market for a 2k -3k amp and saw an old marantz 8b in that price range.

i am a sucker for midrange and soundstage and listen to alot of female vocals. my speakers are original rogers ls3/5a and proac tablettes, both of which love the el34s.  i am inbetween amps right now, buthave recovered from a financial setback so i am back in the market
meiatflask

Showing 1 response by sidamo123

It's also been a few years since I last listened to an EL34-based CJ amp & my recollection is in line with yours. It was an integrated amp & delivered terrific midrange but had rolled off highs & lows. While that sound is not atypical w/ EL34 power tubes I thought the CJ amp was a bit too focused on the mids at the expense of the highs & lows. 

My current set up consists of a PrimaLuna DiaLogue Premium integrated amp & Spendor  S3/5 speakers. So far I've only used EL34's in the amp but it can also take KT88's, KT120's & KT150's. The PrimaLuna can run in triode & ultra-linear modes, & using the latter setting w/ EL34's provides my small Spendors w/ plenty of power & punch. Of course, these monitors don't have a ton of bass, but I've found the DiaLogue Premium S3/5 combo to deliver great midrange w/o sacrificing the highs & lows like the CJ.