Classe SSP 800's DAC vs Oppo 105's DAC

Hello,
I am wondering which is a superior sounding DAC for listening to CD? The DAC in the Oppo 105 or the DAC in the Classe SSP 800 preamp processor? 

I have the Oppo 105 connected via Transparent Premium HDMI cable to my Classe SSP 800 in my dedicated home theater room. My power amps are : Classe CAM 600 monoblocks (pair) to power front speakers; Classe CAM 300 monoblock (single) to power a center speaker; Classe CA-5300 multi-channel amp to power the surround speakers. Doing 7.1 setup. 
My front speakers are B&W 800 D3, B&W HTM1 D3 center, B&W 804 D3 & 805 D3 used for surrounds. 

I'm using these gears strictly for home theater, bluray movies mostly but occasionally I wanted to spin some red book CD in this home theater room.
I do have a dedicated stereo setup in a separate dedicated 2ch listening room that consists of completely different equipments and speakers. And I use this 2ch room to listen to music (hi-rez PCM/DSD, SACD & CD. My 2ch equipments in this dedicated 2ch room are of much higher qualities than my Classe/B&W gears in my home theater room. 

So back to my dedicated home theater room setup....before I purchase a pair of xlr balanced analog interconnects to connect my Oppo 105 to my Classe SSP 800 I wanted to know which has superior sounding DAC for listening to CD, the DAC in the Oppo 105 or the DAC in the Classe SSP 800 preamp processor? So far I've only been using the Oppo 105 strictly as a bluray player for bluray disc playbacks only via HDMI to my Classe SSP 800. I never got to try the quality of the DAC in the Oppo 105.
Again this would be for occasional listening to cd.

Thanks in advance.

caphill

Showing 4 responses by lalitk

I agree with 'dbphd' 2nd comment, the newer Oppo's 203 and 205 have much better DAC's than any of the previous generation models. 

The Oppo 'Modwright' Mod is whole another level for 2 ch purist and I would not recommend this upgrade with SSP800/CAM600 unless you plan to use modded Oppo in a dedicated 2 ch setup. 

You have a very nice HT setup; If you plans to upgrade video to 4K, I would lean towards switching out 105 with 205. 

@caphill,

With a 2 ch stack like that next door; you will not be able to achieve that level of satisfaction in your HT room from a stock Oppo 105 :-)

Given your exquisite taste in components, Modwright Oppo 205 is the only way to go in your HT room, IMHO. 

Cheers! 

I used to own all Classe Delta system, including SSP-800.  It was traded for a Krell Evolution 707 processor which in my opinion have a much better multi-ch / 2 ch analog sound among any processors currently available in the market.  

Unfortunately, high end Audio / Video processors are now dead or obsolete. Hang on to SSP-800 as long as you can :-)
caphill,

The 707 is no longer in production. Like Classe, Krell has also moved to more value priced range since Dan’s departure. I seriously doubt if they upgrade the 707 with latest codec’s and 4K video board.

In my 7.1 setup, 707 sounds phenomenal. I honestly don’t feel the need for an audio upgrade as much visual upgrade. I am going to buy a 4K projector once prices are bit more competitive.

Thanks for sharing your picks on processors. You should also add Trinnov Altitude to your list.

Cheers!