Classe's New CP-800 Pre-amp/DAC. Impressions?

We have heard the new CP-800 in pre-production form and are quite impressed given the perforamnce, build quality, and sheer value. Many of our clients have already pre-ordered the product but I am just wondering if anyone else has formulated an opinion about this new product from Classe.
digitalear

Showing 1 response by eniac26

I've owned this unit for about 3yrs now and have been very pleased its sound. I've recently gotten the itch to move on to something else but am a bit scared that the increased price of another unit may not necessarily equate to improved sound.

From a measurements standpoint using the Stereophile review as a guide I find it difficult to imagine a drastic increase in SQ by going with something else given the stellar specs this unit puts out despite its cost compared to higher brow competition. If I do move on, the only unit I am really considering is the Pass X P30.

I feel there is plenty of room for improvement to be found by using a different external DAC though. My Meitner MA-1 DAC easily shows the CP800 a clean pair of heels from a D/A conversion SQ standpoint but thats to be expected, I think. In general though, the included DAC found within the CP800 does sound very clean though.

I think the biggest issue when using the built in DSP functionality of the CP800 is the inherent down conversion of the audio stream in the digital realm and the additional D/A....A/D conversion that takes place along the way.

In general though, this is a very impressive PreAmp for the money