Classe' CAP-151,are there reliability issues?

I have noticed a few Classe'CAP-151 around at quite reasonable prices. This integrated has not only received some fairly decent reviews, but seems to be an amp people like and hang onto for awhile. My problem is most of inquiries I have made to potential sellers comes with a history of having been repaired,in most cases back at Classe'. Is this just coincidence or are these amps prone to repair? The Cap-151 was built in Canada (I am Canadian) prior to moving thier operations off shore to China. They still have a repair depot, including all parts except faceplates and chassis,back in Montreal and thier out of warranty shop rate is $90 a hour. Again, there are some good deals out there,however if the amp keeps landing back at Classe',then I had best look elsewhere. Please note that I am just inquiring and not trying to bash Classe' since I know they are well built and a favorite amongst many audiophiles. Thanks in advance for your feedback.
audiopath49

Showing 2 responses by b_limo

I bought a used ssp 25 pre amp and had issues with the sound cutting out when I would switch settings or inputs. I'd have to disconnect the power cord from the wall, wait 15 seconds and then plug it back in, in order to get it to work again. Don't ask me how I figured out how to temporarily fix the problem, because I really don't know what made me think to do that. I eventually replaced the powercord (which I don't think was the original) and also got an external dac, which inadvertantly allowed me to not switch inputs on the pre-amp as much and I haven't had any problems since. I also have a ca-150 which I haven't had one issue with. I do like the sound of this combo and will probably buy another ca-150 so that I can run them bridged. By the way, I spent $350 on the ssp 25 and $800 on the ca-150. Don't know how this set up compares to the cap 151 soundwise but it does offer a bit more flexibility but more clutter too in addition to the extra cost of an extra interconnect and power cord, if your a tweaker.