Classe CA-2100 - LED turn red, Amp shuts down, LEFT side of the Amp is extremely hot!

My Amp, which is a Classe CA-2100, has been acting up. It has a status LED light in front that usually stays Blue, but lately, the left channel LED turns RED and it shuts down. Whenever that happens when I goto the Chassis, the LEFT SIDE is extremely HOT! Like super hot to touch. NOT the right side.

The company is in restructuring so I am trying to see if I could get any support, but being a computer engineer and knowing a few things about electronics, is there a way for me to test and see what component is failing? I have access to multi-meter to do some measurements if necessary.

alexb76

Showing 1 response by teo_audio

I would personally do a lot of turned off and disconnected resistive tests first, to not apply power again, at all.

To compare resistance point checks from one channel against the other.

That’s probably the most safe and reasonable way to proceed.

Like an emerg doctor, I only get to see lots of newly and nearly dead things. In this case, lots of blown and nearly blown power amps.

A good few thousand of blown and nearly blown amps across my desk, tells me to proceed in this manner.

Fundamentally, do not turn it on again.

(Basically, audio designs look good when engineered and built. Elegant, even. But when all one does is deal with the broken end of it, then the flaws in the the given thinking design, and execution..... become quite clear.)