Class H vs nCore for multi channel to match Class AB front stage.

Hello everyone, I am in a huge debate here, I been few years trying to reach a pure class AB system and I finally made it with a few compromises to my "surround"  channels, the main are Parasound AB monoblocks as planned, however, the surrounds are running an old AB, single-ended low power amp and its finally time to upgrade but I have no money and no intention of expending too much money or an amp that I use at most once a week.

my question goes to Class H with Outlaw Audio and Emotiva use on their multi-channel amplifiers, does anyone have experience with Class H? is it as warm and clear as Class AB? what would be the compromises here.

Additionally, these new Hypex nCores are providing amazing price vs benchmark data, but I found nowhere to test one of those, and again these are for surrounds so I would go with a simple nc252mp, not the full-powered ones.

what are your takes here, any suggestions?

PS. the front stage is Focal Electra 1028 with parasound monoblocks, but the surrounds are basic SVS and Klipsch speakers.
badgod86
Class H means only, that supply rails switch between lower and higher voltage, based on the amplitude of the input signal, in order to lower power dissipation. Amplifier still operates in class AB. There might be some sonic penalty in class H, but it depends on execution. My Benchmark AHB2 is a class H amp (class AB with regulated supplies) and sounds fantastic. Class H means that supply voltage switches between two levels, while class G means it is adjusted in linear fashion, but it is often reversed (mixed up) and H sometimes means linear adjustment.
If you want something that matches what you hear from your Parasound amps (which you've described as warm and clear), I don't think you'll find it from an Outlaw Audio or Emotiva amp, or from nCore/ICEPower amps. Even among AB designs, there are very clear audible differences.

Personally I think if you want the same sound as Parasound then Parasound is probably your best bet in terms of price point. That being said, you're already using different speakers for your surrounds so perhaps that isn't as much of a concern? Maybe a used older model class AB amplifier from Parasound or Bryston would be ideal.
I've been in the same boat.  If you can, I suggest ICEPower based Class D as excellent sonic matches for Parasound.
kijanki4,045 posts

Thanks that was short and sweet. My kind of explanation. Now if I could figure how to do the same thing. :-) I've used class Gs. I think? Parts Express Plate amps SPA1000s. They are a Class G (A/B). Hearty bass plate.

I've used a lot of Ncore, Hypex. I like them. Nord Buffers too, Rev D.

I like Behringer 12Ks too. A heck of a deal for bass duty. 4-500. usd TWO 3000 plus watt amps 2 ohm stable. 3000 plus watts. Quiet as a church mouse, with my little mods..BASS ok! I haven't used them anywhere else.

My surround (as much as I can stand anyways) is Nord, NC500 MB. rev d buffers..with sparko 2590s..  All planar and round bass cone drivers in the speakers. No horns.. 92-94% efficient. They will show you a BAD amp...They hide NOTHING...

Regards