Class D question...............

Do you consider class D amps neutral or sweet sounding???
gvickerschtick

Showing 2 responses by jw94055

One more time. Class D is as warm as the pre-amp you use.
Solid state sounds, well, solid state. A tube pre with a class d will sound detailed and warm. I went with a tube pre decades ago because I could not stand the sound of a cd player through a solid state pre and power amp. The Class d will faithfully reproduce what it is fed. Tripath, nuforce, UcD, Ice, there are a lot of Class D's. I have both a tripath and UcD based amps. The UcD is superior, but I would rather have the tripath than any Mosfet, JFet, amp. As long as I have the tube-pre.
Stereo, I built a power amp with the HG modules and regulators, 200w/8ohms per channel. Hypex transformer and power supply. It is the best. I use a tube pre and the sound is both detailed and warm. I have heard solid state pre's with Class D and I don't like it. Very "thin" and cold. With the tube pre, right on the money. The very old with the very new.
The dynamics, the amount of musical information and wide sound stage are stunning. I have a tripath based power amp which is good, but the Hypex UcD is better. Glad to hear there is another Hypex fan. Good listening.