Class D is just Dandy!

I thought it was time we had a pro- Class D thread. There's plenty of threads about comparisons, or detractors of Class D.

That's fine, you don't have to like Class D amps, and if you don't please go participate on one of those threads.

For those of us who are very happy and excited about having musical, capable amps that we can afford to keep on 24/7 and don't require large spaces to put them in, this thread is for you.

Please share your experiences with class D amps!
erik_squires
If it were possible to measure, I'd ask for these amps to be measured with a 1 Ohm resistor at 2.83 Volts. :)  About 8 Watts. Let's see that first.

REW is great, but measuring the speakers adds a ton of confounds. I say this as a speaker maker and integrator. And that's fine, but what I'm personally after is to understand how well these amps do electrically, as that will be the most clear.

If we try to measure just the speaker/room we won't have any idea what is due to the speaker, and how much is due to the amp/impedance interaction.

If I remember where my oscilloscope is I may do this with mine.

Best,

E
By the way, I just ran the numbers on that.

Based on output impedance, and assuming a 1 Ohm speaker impedance the ICEPower 250 A would droop around 2.2 dB at 20 kHz. That’s not unacceptable, and in line of what a tube amp would do to a lot of normal speakers.

Pro: A gentle glare reducing effect.
Con: Removes air, dulls top end.

A bigger concern to me would be the speaker efficiency and output power of the modules used.

Also, one not well known thing about these modules is that their cooling matters a great deal. The power rating increases with better heat sinks. Some manufacturers stick these in sealed speaker cabinets but the power gets derated.

Best,

E
Erik said:
REW is great, but measuring the speakers adds a ton of confounds. I say this as a speaker maker and integrator. And that's fine, but what I'm personally after is to understand how well these amps do electrically, as that will be the most clear. 

You can use REW to measure impedance and electrical transfer functions too (since Ver5).  Nice link on impedance measuring:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/1340740-lilmikea-s-diy-impedance-measurement-jig...
Ah, fine. :) That's fancy.

All we really need is a signal generator, and voltage meter at a couple of frequencies.

Best,

E
Hello all,
I read this statement on another forum and thought it sums up my outlook,each to there own Offcourse.

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Kenny.