Class A into Class AB

What is the goal of a designer who makes intergrated amps that have class A for x amount of watts before it goes into class AB? Are there any examples of this being implemented well? I get this feeling that it’s kind of just a marketing thing...where people think they are getting some quality class A without the very high price tag. I was particularly looking at the CODA CSiB amps where you have three choices of how much of your first watts are class A. I have since found a few other respectable brands that implement this as well. I have yet to come across anyone who has heard much of difference between AB amps and one’s that’s state "first X amount of watts..." Class A/AB. Anyone have any experience with these kind of integrated amplifiers? Just looking for a little bit of understanding as I’m trying to upgrade my amplifier.
tmac1700
1 ohm is not uncommon with many multiple parallel devices (which is very likely there) to ensure load sharing and some additional linearity.  You may find it high, i really don't.  Seen a bunch.
Since the OP posed the question, with regard to integrateds going Class A to AB, "Are there any examples of this being implemented well?" I would submit the example of Nelson Pass's INT-60. According to Pass Labs documentation, it remains in Class A until 30 watts, then transitions to AB. (The unit puts out 60 watts into 8 ohms.) In theory, the blue meter at the front center will move past the 12 o'clock position to tell the user that it's crossed into AB operation. In practice however, in the three years I've owned the INT-60, it has never, ever done so. This includes a few occasions when my friends and I were overserved with "listening fluid" and briefly turned the rig up to the "ridiculously loud" level. It never got close to passing 12 o'clock.

In other words, if the meter is to be believed, for all practical purposes, the unit never leaves Class A. Incidentally, Pass describes the INT-60 as Class AB, not A/AB. As you would expect, it runs hot, but not crazy hot. What this all means, I don't really know, but I do know that it's a phenomenally sweet-sounding unit which I have enjoyed enormously.

"...Implemented well?" I'd say, "yes."  
The meters on home audio gear are almost never calibrated and more often than not mislead rather than inform.
The meters on home audio gear are almost never calibrated and more often than not mislead rather than inform

How coils they be accurate when they often report < 1W ?
@unsound  As a general rule, I wouldn't disagree with your statement in the least. But in this particular instance, we're talking about Nelson Pass, who is, to say the least, not known for misleading.