Class A amplifiers

I was watching YouTube reviews on Hifi and one guy said if you like Class A amps you have to accept that every 3 or 4 years you have to send them in to get serviced Becasue the heat inevitably causes issues? Is this true? I have a friend with an older Maek Levinson Class A amp and he was looking to sell,it to me, and am just wondering if Class A amps are like a boat, always costing you more . Anyone?
bear1971
Like most blanket statements, its no true but has some kernel of truth.  Class-A amps typically run hot because they dissipate 100% (actually in most cases, 200%) of their rated power all the time. But that is a design condition and ought to be accounted for so that it is irrelevant.
Depending on how they are designed, cooled and parts chosen, class-A operation, and its attendant heat generation, can have very little effect  - or can be a long term issue.  I have hundreds of units that I designed in the field, many approaching 30 or over 30 years old with essentially no failures due to accumulated heat. While these are not pure class-A, they are very high bias amplifiers that dissipate a LOT of power; but they are designed for it.
The primary components harmed by heat are electrolytic capacitors.  transistors can run very hot with no ill effect, and most resistors can too unless the are directly over-powered (e.g. run at or near their rating or 1/4w, 1/2w or whatever).  Film caps too typically are immune unless its so hot they melt -- and that's HOT.
I'm sure there are some poorly designed amps out there. Avoid them :-)
Add my name to the Nelson Pass Fan Club.
His amplifiers have a reputation for being highly dependable.
I have (and Love) a First Watt Sit-3; It does not generate much heat at all and I expect many years of trouble-free service from it, as that would be consistent with his company's offerings and his design philosophy. Pure, simple and with few 'moving parts'!
Happy Trails to you, Bear.............

completely false statement.  Been repairing amps for so long now it comes down more tot the quality of the parts then the heat if the units are vented correctly and they have good heat dispersion.  Any old component you purchase probably needs a parts upgrade. Last night we compared three class A amps Coda, Carin and BEL.  We were surprised with how well the BEL amp sounded.  Very musical sounding amp built in the 90s.  Still going strong although I think changing a few caps is a good idea, I also think the Nichicon PS caps will sound better along with Audio Note resistors and capacitors or Amtrans.

I have been repairing, modifying and building audio components for close to 30 years now.  Don't worry to much as the caps, etc., can be easily changed.
@bigkidz

agree

dick brown’s amps are still among the best... and they have withstood the test of time