Clarity Caps vs Kimber kaps

looking to upgrade my B&W 602s3s
128x128posterone

Showing 4 responses by reb1208

Russian Teflon FT-2 .015UF/200v bypass caps in the signal path are the finest sounding IME. I'm using the FT-1's in the power supply as those don't quite thrill me in the signal path. I've yet to hear a single output coupling cap that beats out a well experimented combination of caps.
Dave,

My mistake. I just checked, indeed the .015uf cap I am using in signal path is a FT-1 .015uf/200v(not FT-2-no such thing) Interesting is that I also have these FT-1 in .022uf/200v but prefer the .015uf.

In fact I prefer the Russian FT-1 .01uf Teflon caps to other Teflon caps: AuraT, V-Cap, Rel-Cap, Pentacap and Cardas Hybrid.

The K-72 Teflon I found to be too sharp/mechanical and unrefined sounding. Even after removing the metal case and replacing leads.

The FT-3 Teflon is fantastic in the power supply.

I have several values of the k-71 Russian polystyrene caps but have yet to find a use for them. Not impressed with the results.

Sherod, I understand that some folks have more time than others to spend on experimenting. Perhaps when you log more time, you will "hear" what is possible when the right combo is found. I'll be happy to share more with you if you are open to this "art". It is an art, but some folks just go by conventional wisdom.
Again, it is an art as to avoid the perception of time/phase shift when bypassing signal path. In fact, in my pre-amp I use 3 output caps. The art is to make the sound that passes thru them come out as whole. One trick I use is to make a mechanical connection between very short(1/4") capacitor leads and then solder. For the .015UF Teflon bypass cap, I use a longer length Auric copper lead. I have never been successful with .01UF bypass caps in the signal path ( .01uf was a typo in previous post). The combination I use in my preamp is base cap 5.0UF, second cap .22UF, third cap .015UF. In my cd player I use base cap 2.0UF bypassed with .015UF FT-1 Teflon.

In conclusion, not only have I heard phase time shift from bypassing signal path capacitors, I've also learned how to eliminate it.

BTW, I've read every single capacitor blog on the internet. Including Tony G, Tempo electric, V-Cap test, Capacitor Orgy etc.

I'm kinda like the guy you scratch your head in bewhilderment at. You know, the one that makes his own interconnects and power cords. Fixes his own cars, has the greenest lawn, sides his own house etc etc etc. All by myself, self taught.
Not such a pioneer, as a good listener and tweaker. The base capacitor of my choice is metallized polypropelene. See we actually do hear alike!

Good Listening.