CJ SA250 or Rotel RB990BX?

I am looking for a secondary amp, already have a CJ PV10A and a MF2100 with B&W 965's. I picked up a pair of Paradigm v7's and need some opinions on which of these two amps would maximize my $$ and my music. I listen to a lot of "challenging music", avant garde elctronic and art/music pieces, so I need a quality unit to push the sound. Opinions, options, ideas are welcome and appreciated.
funckarma
funckarma
They're both good amps. I'd actually lean to Arni's side on this one, since the SA250 is a bit sweeter in the highs. Then again, the SA250 doesn't have anywhere near the overall grip that the 990 does. If you can, Kurtisk had a great suggestion--buy both and see which one you like more. You can almost certainly sell the one you don't keep for what you'd buy it for...

Best,

Bob
I had Rotel 980BX which died on me. I replaced it with CJ SA250 and the difference was night and day. The SA250 is much more musical, sweeter, but with more resolution at the same time. I know the 990 is in a league above the 980... so this comparison may not paint the full picture. But there is a signature to Rotel and CJ sound. A lot will depend on your other components, but I think the Paradigms will be sweeter with the SA250.
I have a rotel RB990BX that I use with Magnepan MG-III's with good success. Rotel power seems typically robust in the lower frequencies--it makes drums sound great! The 200w seems to be plenty of power as the MG-III's like lots of power. At $400 the rotel is a good value. Good non-fatiging power, excellent bass performance. Can be bested in other areas.

I also have a Anthem MCA 2, which is also 200w. The anthem has more detailed highs and better imaging, but also sounds all up top compared to the rotel. Altimately I listen to the Anthem the most, as I value the detail and imaging with the music I listen to. The anthem is also about $400 used.

My advise...buy one of each like I did. Make a decision and sell one, or keep them both.