CJ Premier 11a vs. Audio Research VT50/VT100MKII ?

I'm currently running a CJ Premier 11a driving a pair of Thiel CS 1.5's. The CJ has 4 6550 output tubes. My preamp is the Audio Research LS16. My main source component is the Cary 306/200 24/192 CD player. This combo sounds very nice to me.

I would be curious to know if anyone has personal experience with the CJ Premier 11a vs the AR VT-50 which would be the most fair comparison since the VT-50 also uses 4 6550 output tubes and is in the same price range (LIST).

I'm also seeking opinions on the CJ Premier 11a vs the AR VT100MKII (and the VT50 vs VT100MKII for that matter) which is more expensive and uses 8 6550 output tubes vs the CJ's 4. Opinions based on personal experience only please, not something you've read in an audiophile rag or online review. Thanks!
abecollins

Showing 2 responses by abecollins

Jtinn and Etbaby, thanks for your comments. I have heard from others that the CJ Premier 11a is a very muscial and engaging tube amp but lacking a little bit in the bass. Etbaby, thanks for your suggestions on the KT88's. I've been meaning to try a set for some time now. I don't want to alter the sound of this system too much. I like it a lot. Etbaby, its interesting that we both arrived at similar setups.

I found that the CJ PV-14 tube preamp with the Premier 11a seemed to roll off the low bass and treble somewhat. The LS16 is a bit more neutral and allowed me to regain some of the lost low-end and treble and still retain a nice tube sound. I haven't tried any Premier class CJ preamps or the AR LS12 which I believe is the AR solid-state preamp(?). I have tried the Adcom GFP-750 and to my surprise its an outstanding full frequency preamp with great bass slam and control plus good high's. It's maybe just a little bright for my taste but with the GFP-750 in the system, I miss that sweet tube sound that I enjoy so much.

Etbaby, with regard to the LS12, did you lose any of that nice tube midrange and soundstage like I described about the Adcom GFP-750? I'm keeping the Adcom, its an awesome preamp and sometimes I'm in the mood for its style. But for now, I still prefer the all tube setup. I don't want to lose that magic tube sound and I'm wondering if you give up some of it in exchange for full frequency coverage with your LS12 ?

On another note, some folks in another thread have said the LS16 is noisey. Sure it hisses slightly if you put your ear right up to the speaker but no more so than the other tube preamps I have tried (CJ PV-14 & CJ PV-12). Is your LS16 noisier than normal or noticeable enough to annoy you? In a normal listening environment, I don't hear the hiss. Like I said, for me its only noticeable with my ear right up against the tweeter and thats not how I normally enjoy my music. ;-)
Very good points everyone. CJ Premier 11a should be compared to VT50 and not VT100 to keep things in proper perspective in terms of tube count and price class.

Ken you got it exactly right when you said, and I quote - CJ provides some warmth to augment the transparency of the LS16. I do like the warmth of the CJ but found that some of the CJ preamps that I tried didn't have quite the transparency of the LS16 and the CJ preamps seemed to roll off the highs and lows a little too much while the LS16 was more neutral. And I like the CJ warmth with the somewhat dry Thiel CS 1.5's.