CJ Classic 2 line stage pre-amp?

Hoping to hear from owners of this entry level pre-amp from Conrad Johnson. What amp & speakers are you using it with? What did it replace? How do you find it w/respect to imaging, air, stage width & depth, resolution and tonal balance? (You know, the usual half dozen or so things to obsess about). Also, I have come across reference to a CJ house sound but not sure what that means. Thanks in advance for your comments on any and all of the above.
128x128ghosthouse

Showing 1 response by zd542

CJ makes great preamps. I've had several. I haven't heard the Classic 2, but I would definitely recommend you listen to it before you make a decision. It looks very similar to the PV 10 and 12's. If its based of those designs, it may be too much of a good thing. Those preamps were a bit too forgiving, and I felt that made them a little dull sounding. As you move up the CJ line, that's not the case.

Understand, though, I'm just guessing here. I saw that no one answered your post and am just trying to give you some info that may help. I have a Premier 18 that I like very much. I know its SS but I would definitely buy it again. If you can find a good used one, I would consider it.