CJ ACT2 with Premier 140 or 350 or LP70S?

I just bought myself a VR4SR with 91DB. Need to change my 24 watt SET Unison Research S8 Integrated amplifier. Doesn't sound gd esp bass. Decided to purchase CJ ART2 but not sure which CJ power amp to pair it with. I listen to mainly vocal. On turntable I prefer rock song fr Pink Floyd, CCR, Fleetmac wood etc. Presently waiting for my VPI HRX turntable. My current system consists of the following : power cord, interconnect and speaker cable- transparent reference. Exactpower conditioner and Transparent PIXL. Transport CEC 51x connected to Benchmark DAC1 with balanced XLO signature cable. BDR cone supporting all the gears. Your opinion is much appreciated. Happy Listening
128x128audioblazer

Showing 2 responses by czbbcl

Audioblazer

Depending on your musical preferences and volume requirements along with room size and accoustics with a 91db (Impedence ?) speakers you would probably be served very well with either tube or ss amp.

I am currently driving a pair of thiel 3.6's with a cj premier 350 and a cj premier 16lsII, audioquest amazon and volcano speaker cables and scd-1 front end. The combination of the 16 (tube-pre) and 350(ss-amp) is very involving and detailed and I would not call it thin on top but detailed and full with generous bass. I listen primarily to female jazz volcals and classical (symphonic and chamber) music.

At one time I had a premier 11a driving the thiels which obviously was not enough power to really drive them but the midrange and upper frequencies were beautiful and detailed. The 350 has all of that detail and more with much better bottom end. I would expect the premier 140 would be very nice as well so would the LP70S although I would think in the latter case the mono-blocs would be a better choice.

Downunder nice system
Audioblazer

Any of them would work very well with your speakers. If you were satisfied with your SET integrated and don't mind the heat and maintenance I would go with the 140 or the LP70M (mono-bloc). I must admitt an affection for tube amps after having owned my premier 11a (still miss that amp)but my speakers are just to inefficent. I did consider heavily the purchase of a 140 prior to purchasing the 350. However, I ultimately believe I made the right choice when I hear the clarity of the bass coming from those kettle drums on symphonic music.

As you probably know the 140 is discontinued so you would have to buy used. This gives you the opportunity to sell it and not lose much if any money if you choose to resell it. Good Luck in your decision and congratultions on your pre-amp purchase. Happy listening to you as well.

Chuck