Circle Labs A200 Integrated amplifier review - It will appeal to both tube and SS lovers……

This review is a reflection of my desire to help those looking for purity of sound in the convenient package of an integrated amplifier. In other words, an amplifier that transcends the usual boundaries of tube vs solid state. The A200 integrated is a unique design and one that I don’t recall seeing before--more on that in a moment. I called my local dealer here in the Nashville area, Colin King of Gestalt Audio Design, and told him I wanted to look into an integrated amplifier. I had too many boxes with several LPS’s, switches and such on the floor next to my Sound Anchors rack. It did not look good in our living room, and since I live with THE Audiophile’s Wife, I decided I better simplify and tidy up our space before she took to the blogosphere and wrote about my slovenly ways.

I also liked the integrated amp concept, in general, as they can offer stellar sound at lower prices than competing separates. I knew Colin carried the Luxman brand, and it has always intrigued me, but to my surprise, he suggested the Circle Labs A200 made in Poland. I had not heard of it, but he felt it would fit my sonic priorities better. In a nutshell, I like beautiful tone and realism and am less concerned about sonic feats of strength that impress initially, but over time don’t immerse me in the music. I guess, for me, an integrated amp appeals to the heart and soul--not just the mind.

Prior to the A200, I had a wonderful sounding $15,000 Mark Levinson 532 preamp and two nice amplifiers. Here’s a little backstory on that:AMPS: One of the amps was a 50-watt per channel, pure class A solid state Clayton Audio amplifier. The other was a 1200-watt per channel, unique class D amplifier. Both appealed to me in different ways.PREAMPS: I recently built a very robust 6sn7 tube preamp that I enjoyed but ended up giving to my stepson as a housewarming gift. In addition to that, I owned a highly modified/upgraded Audio Valve Eclipse tube preamp that was also quite enjoyable.

Suffice it to say the integrated had a significant sonic hurdle to clear to make it onto my audio rack. On paper, the A200 seemed ideally suited to my sonic preferences. The design combines a tube preamplifier and a single ended, pure class A, solid state output stage. While hybrid integrated amplifiers are not new to the scene, one with a single ended, pure Class A output was unique in my experience. In addition, the builder was passionate and intensely focused on short signal paths and keeping the parts count to an absolute minimum. The end goal was sonic purity, in other words, the accuracy of the tone and overtones needed to be precise to the vocals and the instruments. It needed to correctly address the nuances of the recordings like the inflections of the voices, the emotion of the vocalist and the subtleties of each instrument.

The A200 is rated at 100 watts per channel into 8 ohms and doubles to 200 watts into 4 ohms. It uses the rather inexpensive Siemens ECC8100 tube--one per channel and they will last some 10,000 hours. You can read more about this amp online at the Circle Labs site as well as viewing several online reviews of the unit.

This design goal, in my estimation, delivers the sonic purity I find elusive in many pieces of audio gear. This hybrid is different from other hybrid amps I have owned from Blue Circle, Monarchy Audio and Aesthetix Audio. Their designs are wonderful in their own way. They have sonic strengths in areas like warmth, stage size, high power and such. In my opinion, the A200 stands out from the other hybrids in purity of sound and inner detail. The sound reminds me of the “illuminated from within” sound I heard on my past pair of 2a3/300b monoblock SET amps from George Wright. The A200 sonic strengths boil down to a wide open sound, purity of tone and a positively arresting revealing of inner detail and nuance. The bass of the A200 is stellar in both articulation and fullness. If the recording has a meaty foundation, the A200 delivers it, and this is a must for me to enjoy music. The amp does not homogenize recordings based on my experience. Every recording is delivered with its intended sound and personality.

Another aspect I really appreciate is how engaging this amp is at low to moderate volume levels. I think this is simply a reflection of its sonic purity. In the end, the A200 cleared my sonic hurdle, and then some, because it drew me into the performances time and time again. One additional note is the A200 is just plain fun. My wife joins me for pleasure listening, and it scores very high marks on the fun factor.

I have heard amplifiers with more exacting leading edges and crisper highs. I have heard amplifiers with more gut-hitting dynamics at high volume levels, though I suppose if you pair the A200 with highly efficient speakers you would achieve this. I have not often heard the purity of sound and overall illumination of the performance that this integrated delivers. Approximating it would typically require SET tube amplifiers of the 2a3/845 and OTL variety-- at least in my experience.

Colin is the importer and dealer located in Nashville. The retail price is $8995. He is easy to work with, no-pressure and very laid back. I liked my experience with him greatly, and The Audiophile’s Wife has said, and I quote, "she plans to adopt him into our family if one of our biological children goes missing."

System notes:

Circle Labs A200 on Townshend Pods and with QSA blue fuses installed
Dali Epicon 6 speakers with highly upgraded crossovers
Mojo Audio Evo dac with most all the upgrades including Lundahl Amorphous chokes
Innuos Zenith 3 server
Hapa Audio ICs and Aero USB cable
Acoustic BBQ power cord and speaker cable
Purist Audio jumpers
Network Acoustics ENO ethernet cables and filter
English Electric 8Switch
Several linear power supplies for modem, router switch
Puritan Audio 156 and Groundmaster conditioning/grounding
Townshend Pod products under speakers and gear
Sound Anchors rack
Dedicated twin 20 amp lines
Various tweaks from Mad Scientist, PerfectPath Audio

Link to Circle Labs site,

http://www.circlelabs.eu/a200_en

I should add I listen to most every major genre of music including jazz, folk, female jazz vocalist, classical, acoustic instrumental, solo piano etc…. I love Van Morrison and Rickie Lee Jones and would say they are my top two favorite artists.

Hope you find this helpful fellow Agoners.
Bill
128x128grannyring

Showing 50 responses by grannyring

Seems you guys are getting brand new units! I imagine they will
need some play time before the tubes and amp sound their best. Should be a fun time for you guys. Can I ask what speakers you guys are using? Love to know. 

@hchilcoat 

Oh my you have gone all out on those cables! I bet your system sounds so wonderful. Congrats! Your Circle Labs separates are very special indeed.  

I love the Horning Aristotle speakers as I have listened to them several times at Colin’s place. They are so dynamic and effortless sounding. Very fast and musical at the same time.  Yes, I think about those Horning speakers too much 🙂. 

@xrayz 

Sorry, I have not heard the small A100, although Colin did mention it. My room is simply too large to consider it with my 89db efficient speakers. 

@whipsaw 

Your new speakers are intriguing.  Love to hear your comments on them as well as the A200 with them once all is in place.  Exciting! 

@hchilcoat

Wow! That is some great new gear you have! That Circle Labs preamp is said to be very pure and imparts no personality of its own on the music.  This is a good thing! 
I imagine the amplifier is very refined and special.  

I love my Mojo Audio Evo dac. Did I say I love your system?! 

My A200 is just a joy to listen to day in and out.  Happy for you. 

Bill 

@hchilcoat

I owned the Dali Epicon 6s for 5 years and liked them! I now have some 475 hours on my new Fyne 704 speakers. I could not be more happy. Colin came over to listen and helped me set them up perfectly. The A200 is a wonderful amp on these big Fynes. Perfect!

Great review! Thanks for sharing. Seems Circle Labs is growing in awareness. This reviewer  really nails what the A200 is all about. 

@facten

Colin answered your questions and I will only add this. All tubes, both preamp and power tubes, must be biased. If they are not, then they will burn up! The method used by Circle Labs is quite ingenious. Being a geeky tweaker I have done a little fooling around with gear. I am a DIY novice at best! The battery is used to supply the needed voltage to the grid of the tube to maintain proper bias. The bias is fixed in that you don’t have to adjust or mess with it in any way. The battery is only supplying low, low voltage and no current so it will last years. This ingenious circuit helps keep parts count to a minimum. This is a very good thing as it helps simplify the circuit, reduce parts count and maintains a short signal path. All this equals better sound when executed well as Circle Labs has done. As Colin stated, you don’t often see this method of biasing.

Thanks @facten

Yes, I should probably clarify that statement. I was really referring to designing gear. I am good with a soldering iron, understanding parts and how they sound, and know how to build very good sounding cables for reasonable money. However,  I am not a designer! The preamps I have built from scratch used a 6sn7 circuit I learned from a talented designer with my separate learnings on how to built robust power supplies.

Fun for me. I like upgrading gear with parts I know will deliver the sound one is looking for. Kind of like tube and fuse rolling…kind of 😊.

@facten 

You have some nice amplification! Just looking back at your system and see the Line Magnetic and Finale Int amps. You also have some Modwright separates. Yes, you need another intergraded amp sir 🙂. 

Thanks for the link! Enjoying the solo piano recording the reviewer used to test the A200, Marcos Ariel - Piano Blossoms. Beautiful music.

The harp recording also used during the review …. Not so good to me 😬.  Beautiful music is in the ear of the beholder. 

Love to hear from any other A200 owners!

I am really enjoying my A200 so much with my Fyne F704 speakers. I would say my enjoyment of this integrated amp has grown over the many months.  I guess I’m saying I appreciate it more with time.

Thanks Tvad. 
I should also clarify that this amp won’t sound like a SET tube amp in every way. It does not have quite the same delicacy, intimacy and 3D staging. It does deliver in the ways I mentioned in the review. Just want to be thorough in my comments. 
@jond 

You are correct about the output.  My mistake as I was thinking about the Class A preamp section.  The output is indeed class A/B.  My apologies. 
The technical explanation regarding the output is rather involved and I will ask Colin to explain at some point. 
@facten 

I use the Hapa Quiescence C of late as it matches well with my system. I also swap in my Acoustic BBQ  IC.  The Hapa line is very good indeed with real innovation at its core.   
Regarding the output stage, in keeping with the desire to use as few parts/devices as possible the A200 uses just one pair of high current BJT’s. (bipolar junction transistor). The high current steering control stage does work in single ended class A.

A look inside the amp clearly shows exceptional build quality and a well thought out layout. You can read more about the innovation in the preamp section which essentially  uses just one tube, a polarizing long life battery, one resistor and a high quality copper foil cap. Innovative design with short signal paths and few parts.  I am sure this helps deliver that purity of tone and sound. 
@whipsaw 

That is a very well done review and I love how honest the designers are as well as the reviewer.  
@hilde45,

Yes, Colin is a small one man operation. As you can see he carries some highly respected brands such as daRTzeel, Tron, Lamm and Cessaro Horn speakers. These highly respected outfits decided Colin was a person they trusted. His site is very simple and at this point just serves to let interested audiophiles know the facts. You know, the lines he carries and how to get in touch with him. I am sure it will evolve as his business does.

Always good for him to see feedback like yours here.

I was able to demo the A200 in my home system which is ideal.

Listening tonight to several artists including Tierney Sutton, Paris Sessions, I was struck by the realism of the music I was playing. The artists were right with me and the speakers just disappeared.  The music was so open and free creating a very intimate listening experience. Fun! 
The A200 is a dual mono design, but it is not a true balanced design. The XLR input is not truly balanced and there for convenience. 
Here is a good article on damping factor. Damping factor can impact the control an amplifier has on the woofers. Higher damping is said to better control the bass giving it more articulation and tightness. Folks argue this from many different perspectives like most things in audio. Do a quick search and you will quickly see all manner of opinions. All I can tell you is the bass performance I am experiencing is simply stellar. My speakers have two 6.5 woofers per unit and are 5 ohm nominal. Bass is fulsome, tight and very articulate at the same time. I would say it is the best bass I have heard from my speakers surpassing amps like the Clayton S50 and Coda #8. All the reviews I have read also state bass performance is first rate. What I really enjoy is how full and meaty the bass is without sacrificing articulation. This is a hard combo to get right in my experience. Some SS amps are over-damped sounding causing the bass to sound thin.  The A200 does not suffer from this in the least. 
https://benchmarkmedia.com/blogs/application_notes/audio-myth-damping-factor-isnt-much-of-a-factor
If your particular source is built from the ground up to sound best using the balanced outputs, then I suppose it’s possible a little SQ is lost when not using a truly balanced integrated amp. This is the only scenario this would ever come into play and the degree of it would depend on the particular source used.
Agreed @jjss49 

I just purchased 4 of these NOS tubes for $100 so the price is also right! 
@audioman58 

I respect Coda.  Great gear. Owned the #8 amplifier and 07x preamp in the exact same system as the A200.  I happen to enjoy the sound of the A200 more for the reasons shared in my review.  The A200 is simply an option for those looking for the sonic strengths I outlined and differs pretty substantially from the Coda gear strengths. 

I should mention my speakers are 5 ohm and 89db efficient. My room is large being 24 feet wide by 32 feet deep with 10 foot ceilings. The A200 drives the speaker and room to listening levels beyond most any audiophile needs. As I have mentioned,  I really enjoy hearing the musical nuance and details at lower listening levels with the A200. 

My experience could not be more different than yours. Have you really heard the A200 in your very own system for some days? It is not warm sounding and I find it more resolving and open than Coda. The Coda #8 sounded much more SS like in its presentation than the A200. Some may or may not like this as much. Sorry, but your post does not seem to reflect any real experience with this amp in your very own system.

If you have spent quality time with the A200 in your own system, then we just hear differently and have different sonic priorities which is entirely possible.

Regarding the power supply. The A200 has 200,000uf of capacitance which is more than double the Coda. It has a large toroidal tranny for EACH channel and does not share one like Coda. The A200 is a true dual mono design. The A200 even has a separate tranny for the preamp (3 trannys inside) with the preamp using a separate all film cap power supply. For its power output I can confidently say it is equally robust to Coda and I am being modest here.

These two pieces are very, very different sounding and it will come down to one’s sonic priorities. The A200 is about tone, nuance and purity of sound. They are vastly different designs with a different end customer in mind.
This has me thinking more about my time with the A200. It is not the sort of amp that wows the listener in the first minutes of listening with sonic feats of strength. Some amps will do this initially, but over time other imperfections begin to reveal themselves. 
With the A200 I find myself listening to more music than ever before. I am also listening to new artists and engaging in music more as a whole. I find this aspect of having more fun with music an interesting outcome of owning the A200. I find myself growing more fond of the amp with each passing week.  So the A200 is all about a longer term relationship as opposed to a one night fling 🙂. 
I am liking it more every day.  Still listening to more new music and loving it. It also responds well to higher end power cords.  
It is a joy to listen to! 
Wanted to update folks on a new power cord I purchased based on it’s wonderful synergy with the Circle Labs A200.  The Hijiri Nagomi power cord.  Colin of Gestalt Audio Design is the importer/dealer for these cords. I tested many power cords both from Colin and other sources ranging in price from $400 - $4000.  In the end, the Nagomi was magic on the A200. Great depth of soundstage and natural tone that drew me in even deeper.  There are some reviews online as I understand many of us may have never heard of this Japanese brand. 
By new I meant a unit with some hours on it vs none.  Both the Harbeth and Audiokinesis are great sounding speakers! I will need to read up on those Fink Team Kim.  Not familiar with them. 
I think after a week of play time the A200 will reflect a great big dose of its fully broken in sound. I will let Colin chime in on his experience. My guess is the design principles behind the A200 of minimal parts necessary and short signal paths will shorten the time needed for burn in. 
I have owned many hybrid amps over the years. Monarchy Audio made some fine ones, Aesthetix Atlas, several from Blue Circle Audio, Butler Audio and another one that I can’t seem to remember.  All were smooth and had a touch that tube sound we like. 

As Gestalt Audio stated, the A200 is a different animal. It has the immediacy, transparency and a nice portion of that magical realism found in some SET tube amplifiers. It does not sound like a typical high wattage SS or hybrid amp. I think you will love the tone and musical perspective of this amplifier!
@whipsaw 

So happy for you! You are hearing what I hear and enjoy! What are you using for a power cord on your A200? I have the Nogami from Hijiri that Colin turned me onto. Oh boy, this cord mates perfectly  with the A200.  
Understood.  The Black Mamba is certainly highly regarded.  I bet the combo is wonderful. Shunyata makes a line of great sounding power cords. 
@notmkid,

Good for you! Looked up your speakers and they look most interesting. I also own Danish speakers - Dali Epicon. 6’s. I can confidently say the A200 is a very special sounding piece. Keep us updated.

I heard the Hornings with a Tron 300b amp and the Circle Labs. Both were outstanding for sure. How big is your room? The Tron was very special and a sublime match with the Hornings. Realism was particularly special. The CL was beautiful and so effortless sounding on the Hornings.

Ha! Love the post and thank you for sharing. You have some spectacular speakers! 

Well said. Love to know what speaker cables and power cord you are are using with the A200? 

I had owned the Dali Epicon speakers for 5 years and we enjoyed them very much. I drove them with three different amplifiers. The Coda #8 which is a near 400 watt powerhouse, Clayton Audio S50 highly upgraded and the Circle Labs A200. I found the Dali speakers a pretty easy load in general. My room is very large 34x26 with 10 foot ceilings. Tbe A200 drove the Epicon 6s with absolute ease. Remember the A200 doubles to 200 watts of power into 4 ohms. Plenty of reserve headroom with the A200. The A200 was also the most enjoyable amp sonically.

I wanted a larger speaker with more of the dynamics and purity of tone of the best horn designs. While the Dali speakers had great leading edge detail I was ready for more. The Fyne 704s were perfect and while the specs say they 96db efficient, I found they needed the power of the A200 to really get the most out of this speaker.

Happy for you @sense63 !

Nice speakers also.   How long have you had the A200 and what did you own before if I may ask? 

The old dealer loves the product line and no longer carries it for reasons other than the product quality and sound. I will let him comment on it if he would like, but let’s just say he was not treated right.  I still have my A200 and love it. 

Congratulations! More than enough power for your speakers.  You have some great speakers! Wonderful. 

Enjoy! 

Ha! I thought so, but was not totally sure I remembered correctly. Older age. You obviously have advanced listening skills and good taste in audio components!

I use Hijiri HCS-25 and love them! Yes, I like them more than my own. I stopped making cables after hearing Hijiri cables in my system 🤓. 

@hchilcoat

Big congrats to you on the WVL Sons. I have heard them many times and think they are special speakers! What finish did you decide on?

The Circle Labs is indeed a wonderful match.

I would go to Colin for tubes to assure they are properly tested and matched from Circle Labs. I have purchased some from EBay and one set was microphonic.

@hchilcoat Wild Oak looks great! It was my wife’s and my favorite finish in the current offerings. 

Hi @ps 

I would reach out to Colin of Gestalt Audio Design in Nashville.  He is the A200 importer/dealer. He also sells/sold Luxman so he could help you better understand the A200 sound vs your Luxman. 

I love my A200 on my Fyne F704 speakers as well as my previous Dali Epicon 6s.