Choices: Nagaoka MP-50, MP-300, or Garrott P77i?

Visitor (now ex-friend! ... just kidding ... kind of) castrated my beloved Nagaoka MP-30.
It had an unknown amount of hours on it and was probably due for a new stylus... none-the-less, I'm now in the market for a new stylus. Thank goodness I've got the Jico SAS-MM1 on hand as a backup.

Anyhow - for Rock + Jazz listening, any thoughts on these three?

I can buy a complete MP-50 cartridge, a brand new MP-300 stylus to fit the MP-30 body, or go completely off the deep-end and try a Garrott P77i all for about the same amount of money.

I really liked the Nagaoka MP-30's sound, so the MP-300 stylus SEEMS to make the most sense. A part of me, however, says while I'm doing this I may as well upgrade to the MP-50 or try the Garrott.

The only Garrott I've ever heard was the Optim-S and, while I liked part of it A LOT, I found it a bit laid back in the high-end. Not sure how the P77i would compare and if it might be a bit more "open".
vinyladdict

Showing 1 response by halcro

The subject of the Garrott P77 cartridge is rather interesting.
Brian and John Garrott committed suicide (together with their wives) in 1991.
I believe that they began modifying the English A&R P77 cartridge (which was manufactured in Japan) around 1985-6 with Brian selecting and carefully mounting, specially procured styli from their various homes around Sydney.

The last supplies of Brian's hand mounted replacement styli were exhausted by 1993 (I obtained one of the last at that time).
There was a long hiatus whilst the brothers' business and personal affairs were settled and it was not till about 1995 (I seem to recall), that a new company appeared bearing the brothers' name.
That company, formed in Melbourne (600 miles from Sydney), has an unknown (at least to me) relationship to the original Garrott Brothers who worked alone and had no other visible collaborators whenever I visited them.

That means that for approx. 7 years original Garrott P77 cartridges or styli were produced whist since then, 15 years of NEW Garrott P77 cartridges have been produced without John and Brian's hand-made involvement.

The original Garrott P77 cartridge quickly garnered a solid reputation and following both in Australia and England and achieved a kind of legendary 'fame' even during their lifetime.

I have two ORIGINAL Garrott P77 cartridges but have never heard or compared the new so-called Garrott P77 cartridges however, as there are probably at least twice as many NEW Garrott P77s around the world compared to ORIGINAL Garrott P77s, and no way I know of determining which is which, it leaves us in a quandary when people pass judgement of 'their' P77?

The fact is, that Brian and John had certain skills and secrets to their 'modification' processes (otherwise it would have been cheaper and easier to have them performed in Japan), and these 'secrets and skills' perhaps died with them?

So Raul, I don't know how old your P77 or its stylus actually is or if you even know for sure?....and thus your evaluation and ranking of the Garrott P77 cartridge should bear this in mind.
With all the hype over ORIGINAL Garrott P77s, it may be relatively easy for any past or recent 'sellers' to 'age' their cartridges to suit the market place?

Regards
Henry