Choice: Avantgarde Duo Omega or JBL K2 s9800

Am now able to get both of these speakers at abt the same price albeit both in demo condition.

Am now using a pair of Vandersteen 2CE Sig2 and Harbeth M30 and really wanting to try the other end of the spectrum. Heard the Quad ESL which may not be the ones for me where now decide to go the way of the horns.

A/B audition is not possible where i am attracted to JBL K2 s9800 primarily becos its (correct me if i m wrong) a mix of HORN and monitor (best of both worlds?) and also being the 2nd highest in teh line of JBL. Wld tis not make a more sound/safe investment? Same time not really sure of its dynamics as compared to the avantgarde ....

i want to stay with my BAT pre/power (vk32/vk55) ....

any comments welcomed!!!
art80342

Showing 1 response by t_bone

I have heard both speakers many times (though never in the same system - perhaps that disqualifies me). Both are excellent. They have different flavors. I agree with Triode in that when they are well set up, they don't have 'poorly integrated' bass, but that it takes more work to set them up than it would the K2s. I don't think either will be regarded as particularly good financial investments but either will provide a great amount of satisfaction. For some reason, and I am not sure why, I think the K2 does all things at a very high level, and the AGs do most things at a slightly lower level of perfection but some things even better than the K2s (Inman29's 'illusion'). I also like bass a bit further down than the JBLs can go, but that's me. The K2s' bass sounds really, really great.

About the keeping the BAT pre/power, my personal inclination is to say that the AGs really shine with a SET amp. The K2s need more juice than the AGs and your BAT amp is probably enough for the K2s (though if I were starting from scratch, I'd tend to want a bit more than 55W.