China built tube amps

Well I had an interesting conversation today. I contacted a large dealer and let him know I would like to buy a certain integrated tube amplifier that is made in China. I was told he wouldn't sell me one. He said they are all junk.  Prima Luna, Line Magnetic, Cayin, etc, etc, he said forget it. If you want a tube amplifier buy an American or European built unit that can be serviced.

So, I am new to valve amplifiers and I want to try one to understand what they're all about and sort of get my feet wet with tube rolling etc. I don't want to spend a lot of money at first which is why I was looking at Chinese built integrateds. So my question is, without getting into any particular brand other than what I have already mentioned, what is your experience with Chinese built tube amps? As a whole are they reliable? Am I wasting my money if I buy one according to this dealer? I have to admit I was rather taken aback by how adamant he was. Thoughts anyone?

128x128falconquest

Just picked up a  Melody h6550 integrated. Can't really find any information on it. Anybody no anything about them. It has 4 electro harmonix kt88 tunes, 4 Melody 6sn7 that say Australia  and2 Melody 12ax7 that also say Australia. Could the smaller tunes be original? What could I use to replace these. The unit sounds great but the smaller tunes are showing some burn marks. Thanks 

Once the warranty is up on something, any decent local tech should be able to fix a tube amp should something go  wrong with it. Not so much in the way of unobtanium parts inside a tube amp.

Replace the electrolytic caps every 30 years, and it’s should keep on keeping on.

60 year old diy Heathkit/Dynakit amps are still going strong. And they were built by someone’s uncle in a basement :)

@dkzzzz  

You use an iPhone?

What computer are you using to access the internet? 

You watch TV? 

Listen to the radio in your car?

Do you know where all your vegetables came from?

Well, he's an audio snob to be sure. Some of the gear that you mentioned brags about their output transformers. There are certainly far better transformers out there. For similar cost, you can get separates from at least North American manufactures that will be far better sounding, especially if they use Polish Toroidy transformers. I believe that there is also a Polish manufacturer that exclusively uses Toroidy output transformers. Don Sachs would be my first choice, and having Roy, at Tubes4HIFI would be my second choice, but I would have him build a KT88 based amp using 6SN7's on the input, and Toroidy transformers on the output. I believe that Don is slowing down production, but Roy isn't to the best of my knowledge. I did own a Primaluna amp, and it was okay, better than most transistor amps, IMO, but it wasn't as good as the amps Roy has designed. Roy can do all the Don Sachs mods for you, Don is a master modifier. That opinion was worth every penny that you paid for it.