Chill Out; Get Outside of yourself

Since I’m a geezer, I have the luxury of doing what I want. We decided to go to Alaska. It is not the US in the "OMG I’ve got to deal with external BS." Survival is sort of important. As my wife says, "It’s about functional, not about frills." And that, to me, is the starting point. Know your point of departure. The world is bigger and more amazing than you may think.

IMG_0057

128x128whart

Great photo.

I love the earth. Growing up in Chicago… I just couldn’t wait to get out and explore. I managed to get myself to Outward Bound in Colorado when 16 and climbed my first 14,000 foot mountain. I became a geologist and lived all across distant mountain ranges and explored coral atolls on vacations like Bora Bora as a young man. Worked globally as an adult. Incredible world we live in!

As a geezer I hope to donate to causes that help preserve the wonderful planet that has nurtured life to sentience.

Thanks gents, yes, the photo was taken from the plane by me or the wife. Once I get back I will collate and edit all the photos. It is culture shock in some ways, very much a "can do" attitude in others that is both familiar and reassuring. Our friend here is one of those guys who can do everything. We aren't exactly "roughing" it, but the remoteness and size of the place is, in some profound ways, simply mind-boggling. I'm also amazed at the number of older people up here. This place is not easy, once out of summer. I gather fall is spectacular. The train ride down the peninsula was beauty and grandeur in every direction. Mind blown. 

@whart,  Welcome!  You can tell by my alias I live here.  We go "outside" for the shoulder seasons but it's otherwise hard to leave.  Every day can be an epic day if you try.  Just don't try to audition audio equipment Lol.  

Post removed 

Thank you for a marvelous thread!

@clearthinker why do you pollute this wonderful thread with your anger and insecurities?

Photo above looks like a great location for a new lo-comfort prison for the fraudster scumbags in another post today.  Perhaps reduce security a bit to allow escapes that would end in death by exposure.  That would reduce running costs on long sentences.

Someone said 'hate the crime not the criminal'.  That's all wrong.  Don't spare these scums any sympathy.