Check in: How quickly are streamers and servers evolving?

This is a question for those who have been trying streamers and servers recently, watching reviews and product launches, or who just know their stuff and keep up with the technology. I am trying to separate market hype and churn from what is happening, technologically.

Many have said that DAC technology development has slowed down enough for people to feel comfortable spending real coin on a good DAC. Good to know.

So my question is: How quickly do you think streamer and server technology is evolving? Is it still a moving target -- in other words still worth being somewhat cautious about perhaps waiting before dropping serious coin as the technology is soon to change again? Or are we slowing down?

(For those who think these technologies can be accomplished in economical ways (Raspberry Pi, etc.), I'm still curious about your opinion about the speed of change, regardless of whether high dollar expenditures are unnecessary.)

Of course the other yet integral issue is how fast music catalogs are keeping up with the hardware changes to supply the new hardware with files that it can play. I just watched Darko discuss the Spotify move to CD quality (which he celebrates and for which explains the rationale), and it seems most of the music out there continues to exist at CD quality only, not higher resolution.

(Oh, and before someone chimes in with how analog beats digital so why bother...please don’t. I know you think that.)
128x128hilde45
I don't think there's turning back to CD.  If anyone knows anything about the future about digital streaming for music, it's PS Audio.  There are always old school people who like the imperfections for many reasons such as analog sound, nostalgic memory of growing up, natural ambient ...etc.  There's nothing wrong with that; however, if you like clean sound with minimal noise and best of all, the convenience as well as cost to have access to millions songs at your finger tips, it is impossible to beat streamers.  Unless it's LP, almost everything nowadays are digital and DAC has come a long way from development to cost.  
My priority is to “preserve option value”.
I agree that DAC technology has reached a point where you can confidently have high conviction in your investment.

for me, that was a Chord Qutest with a 3rd party power supply. 
I believe streaming technology will continue to evolve then hit a plateau much like CD transports did and then, with the exception of the super tweaked mega $ stuff, you can get 90-95% of the uber hi end at an affordable level.

For me, that was a Bluesound node 2i.

Yes, there are better DACs and, yes, there are better streamers, but my combo delivers satisfaction to me inside my budget that also allows me $$to upgrade my amp soon currently a Belles Soloist 1 int amp.

What also has been covered here extensively is the issue of a control APP that runs your streamer and music library. I personally don’t get the whole Roon thing and am very happy with the Blous app on the Node.

if you change streamers, you need to change how you manage your music unless you just use the native app.

Unless you have ample discretionary funds or you are a super tweaker with cost no object goals, just wade into streaming as water is fine. It works. 
Just like I didn’t spend $4k on a CD transport in 2005,  I ain’t paying that for a streamer head today. You may...and that’s cool. 
$500 -$1000 for a streamer head and $800 -$2000 for a DAC will get you “there”. Yes, you can do it for less and, yes, you can spend more.

for me, I think I have found the sweet spot.

@sacman I agree that streaming is a big part of the future. Not opening up a non-existent debate.