Cheap Speaker "Isolation" Solution for 300 lb. Speaker

Good Afternoon All,

I am looking for advice on a cheap and simple isolation solution for large, heavy (325 lb. each) floorstanding speakers. 

I've read much advice on granite or marble slabs, multiple layers of cork, springs, etc; while this has been helpful, it is neither a cheap or simple solution. 

Ultimately, I am looking to protect my wood floor from damage these very heavy speakers might do, as well as decouple the speaker from the floor in order to reduce bass resonance (I am in an apartment complex and worry about noise complaints). I've looked into sorbothane pads, but they never seem to be able to hold this much weight.

Thanks!
scorndefeat

Showing 3 responses by millercarbon

If you're serious, search eBay for springs. Ones you want will be about 2-3" diameter and compress to about 2" high under a 115lb load. This will be the dirt cheap solution, yet about a million times better than what you're doing now. If you don't want the speakers raised that much then make a platform and put the springs in the corners, in other words copy Townshend Podiums. This is what I did as proof of concept. Works real good.

Or just buy 4 sets of Nobsound. Four sets will easily support 460lb speakers. Way easier. Of course if you do Podiums that will be the best by far. But even Nobsound will be better than what you're doing now.

Let the record show no one has come up with anything to challenge the trampoline. Super balls run in fear. Herbie's glide off into dark corners to hide. No amount of diamonds, springs, racquet or tennis balls can match the awesomeness of the trampoline. 

Granted this is only because the Nimbus is no longer made. Sigh. Those were the days....
Half measures. 

Everyone knows perfectly well there is only one real answer: Trampoline!