Cheap A/V Receiver with A/B speaker outs AND phono

Hi,

I'm looking to set up an inexpensive AV system in my screen porch.

I'm hoping to stay in the $300 range. The hardest part is finding a receiver that has 2 features that are important to me:
1) A/B main speaker outputs (to hook up a second set of speakers for outside)
2) A Phono circuit.

I'd like to have at least 80 Watts per channel.

So far, all I've found is the JVC RX-7020VBK for about $250.

I'm surprised to see how unavailable the phono input is. I can live without A/B speaker switching by getting an external speaker switchbox.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Justin
jhaddad5407

Showing 4 responses by jhaddad5407

Done. I ended up getting getting an Onkyo TX-DS595 refurbished on ubid.com for $269 (plus an insane $42 S&H!!!). I'm pretty happy with the outcome. It has 75x5 watts, A/B/A+B, phono, DTS, DD, Pro Logic II. Pretty much everything I wanted and more.

Thanks again for all the helpful input.

Justin
Thanks for all the replies. Much appreciated.

I went to North Hampton Audio's website and found that they've got an Onkyo TX-DS555 for $299 that seems to be exactly what I'm looking for. They also have a TX-DS474, TX-DS484 and the Sherwood R-725 for less money. Is anyone familiar with these models that might be able to point out the basic differences? I tried Onkyo's website, but these models date too far back I guess.

Justin
Thanks for that tip. I just assumed that A or B or A+B was always the options. That's not to say that I'd be listening to surround sound with A as well as B in stereo mode at the same time. Instead, I'd like to just have A+B running at the same time in stereo-only mode. I'll be sure to look into that.
Well, I looked into running A/B at the same time. Most of the Onkyo's do not offer this feature. However, the 555 is a little different than the new ones: it has multi-room capability. I know that this allows me to play two different sources in the two rooms (even without a separate AMP!), however that's not really what I'm looking for. I'd like to be playing the same source on both A+B at the same time. I'm not sure if that's an option on the multi-room feature. Also, the manual describes the connectivity to have remote control in the remote room, which requires additional equipment, but its not clear if this setup is required to use the multi-room feature. Anyone?

Anyway, I researched the Yamaha's and they have a lot of models (old-present) that offer phono and simultaneous A+B. So, I'm gonna start looking that way.

Thanks again for the tip, Rarl.