Charging A Fee To Demo An Amplifier In A Brick & Mortar Store

I Saw a pair of pre-owned tube monoblocs for sale on an onlline forum for around $17k.
The seller has a retail store for hiigh end audio. The seller mentioned that there will be an up-front fee for the demo if a prospect comes to the store the amps are not purchased. The demo fee may also be used for credit towards any purchase in the store.

This is the first time I’ve ever heard of this. Is this now a common occurance in high end audio stores? I sent a note to the seller asking what the demo fee amount was....two weeks and I didn’t get a response.

Does anyone know what amount of fees are charged for a demo?
128x128mitch4t
Their time is paid for by the mark up.
Just like cars.

i wouldn’t dare purchase from this person. 

Brick and Mortar is dying, he’s just making it happen quicker. 
When I worked for HRC we did the same thing when homologating the Honda RC45. You paid $1000.00 came out to the track, I briefed you on the controls and nuances of the motorcycle. You then got 10 hot laps. Wreck it you own and G note went to your purchase.

we sold 800 of them in 2 weeks. 
@tubes444 

does the name of the sf dealer have sf in it?  And maybe audio and vision?
"we sold 800 of them in 2 weeks."

You could still do it. Just not with $17 000 amplifiers. Maybe with iPhones. Amplifiers could be 2 in 80 weeks.
(1) The dealer is free to charge whatever he would like.  But customers are also free to vote with their wallets. 

(2) I view demos as a cost of doing business.  Car dealers have to let people take test drives. As a lawyer, I have to spend at least 3-4 hours a week talking to potential clients who are speaking to a number of different prospective counsel.

(3) People browse stores. Yes, it takes up time, but you have a great advantage over the internet if you build a relationship rather than view interactions as transactional only.  Andy at Saturday Audio Exchange knows how to do it right - he's set up many demos for me, and I buy from him whenever I can.  

(4)  "Too many hobbyists like to pass time hearing products. They ruin it for businesses."  Just plain insulting.  You should be grateful for any traffic through your store at all.  You don't think that people want to hear gear they aspire to be able to afford, dream about it, work towards it?  Short sighted.  

This dealer is really shooting himself in the foot.  Has the right to do it.  I have the right to pee on my dining room table.  But I don't, because it's stupid.