Charging A Fee To Demo An Amplifier In A Brick & Mortar Store

I Saw a pair of pre-owned tube monoblocs for sale on an onlline forum for around $17k.
The seller has a retail store for hiigh end audio. The seller mentioned that there will be an up-front fee for the demo if a prospect comes to the store the amps are not purchased. The demo fee may also be used for credit towards any purchase in the store.

This is the first time I’ve ever heard of this. Is this now a common occurance in high end audio stores? I sent a note to the seller asking what the demo fee amount was....two weeks and I didn’t get a response.

Does anyone know what amount of fees are charged for a demo?
128x128mitch4t
It was suggested that this is equivalent to a restocking fee; I disagree.  If I buy equipment from Schiit or Tekton and I don't like it I have to send it back, probably pay shipping both ways, and pay a restocking fee.  But ... I have auditioned the equipment for 15 days in my home, in my system.  That is very different from an audition in the dealer's room, with the dealer's equipment.  
I have been to this store 3 times and it is one of my favourites in Los Angeles. They have amazing gear and were very pleasant to deal with. I demoed 2 speakers there the first time I went. Sunil wanted me to hear a much more expensive Wilson Alexa setup just to hear what was possible. He knew I was not able to buy anything that day.  I left with a good opinion.

The other 2 times I went, it was during presentations done with the Los Angeles Audio Society. Again great events with a lot of attendees.

I am buying gear now and I always check to see if they have any gear that I could buy because of the nice way they have treated me. Brooks Berdan and Excel Audio are 2 others that treated me great. Going to be spreading my dollars to these 3 dealers.

I actually have not gone to demo some gear because I was not ready to buy. I would have gone if I could have paid a fee. I know the issues BM  stores are facing.
Perhaps the seller is trying to recoup the electricity cost of turning the amps on 😂
mitch4t,

My current system is here:

https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/876

Nice system, no doubt about it, but what launches it into different galaxy is your tuner. Hats off.
I have bought items from this dealer and he was always respectful and gave me a great price. Most of the items he carries are way out of my price range but he genuinely tries to accommodate my needs as best as he can.