Charging A Fee To Demo An Amplifier In A Brick & Mortar Store

I Saw a pair of pre-owned tube monoblocs for sale on an onlline forum for around $17k.
The seller has a retail store for hiigh end audio. The seller mentioned that there will be an up-front fee for the demo if a prospect comes to the store the amps are not purchased. The demo fee may also be used for credit towards any purchase in the store.

This is the first time I’ve ever heard of this. Is this now a common occurance in high end audio stores? I sent a note to the seller asking what the demo fee amount was....two weeks and I didn’t get a response.

Does anyone know what amount of fees are charged for a demo?
128x128mitch4t
If I was a serious buyer I'd feel offended but there are so many tire kickers who have no intention of buying. If a reasonable fee was posted for like a 30 minute demo there is equipment I wouldn't mind paying to hear. I don't think it's fair to take someone's time if I know I'm not buying.

Can you imagine as a dealer how many people who might "like a listen" with no intent of buying.  Must drive them nuts.  If you have $17k to burn on amps, an audition fee is not likely to be a big deal.  Furthermore, how do you make an informed decision without hearing it in your system? Especially with a tubed amp.  Paying a fee to hear it in my own system would make a lot more sense
These amps already have 800 hours on them, AND you have to buy speakers with them if you want the $2K discount. They have a lot of chutzpah charging for an in-store demo given the circumstances.