Character of the McIntosh MX110 Preamplifier

I recently purchased a restored MX110 from a well-known dealer of vintage gear. I decided since I already own the McIntosh MC240, having a matching preamp made sense. I'm finding however that the MX110 in spite of positive opinion, sounds very forward and shrill. Does anyone here have any suggestions or observations on the MX110 and how I might rectify this problem. Upgrade caps, tubes...
frontier1
Try replacing the 6U8 tubes in the preamp section. These tubes control a large part of the unit's sound. I found NOS RCA's worked best for me. Next you could roll the 12AX7's. I like the stock telefunkens that came with mine, but if you're seeking a mellowed sound, try NOS GE 5751's. I like triple mica black plates. Good luck!
YES I TOTALLY AGREE I HAVE THE SAME COMBO. HOWEVER MINE IS NOT FOREWARD OR SHRILL I CHANGED OUT THE RCA FOR SOME SIEMENS ECF 802 TUBES. THEY ARE MY FAVORITE. THE RCA'S 6U8'S WERE MY SECOND. THE 5751'S HAVE A INCREDIBLE SOUND I WOULD GIVE THEM A TRY. USED TELFUNKEN AMPEREX FOR YEARS BUT NOW I HAVE SEEN THE LIGHT.
Also really like the Tung Sol. They are smoother than the RCA. kind of in the middle of the Siemens and the rca.