Challenging Critera - kids, space, $3500 budget

I'm looking for recommendations for a complete main living room audio system (no tv). I'm following advice from Agon amp/preamp forums to start with speakers, thanks to all who helped. I am not looking for "best speakers I've heard" opinions. Instead, I'm looking for recommendations for speakers for my particular application, AND recommendations for pairing speakers amp/preamps/IA's. I do not do chronic upgrades and I'm looking for something solid that I can live with for a long time. Here are the details of my situation:

* I listen to a wide range of music from jazz, 60's psychedelic, drone, metal, hip-hop, ambient and electronic.

* All of my music is digital.

* My budget is $3500 for the speakers AND amp/preamp

* I have a 2 year old. The room is not the main play room, but there is some activity. I do not want to use stands. They will be relatively protected, however I do not want cones near the floor if possible.

* The living room is 12X18 and there is a large (9 foot) opening to a dining room that is 12X14. I will use this system to listen in both rooms.

* I do not have space to have the speakers 2-3 feet from a wall. Under the Mantle, there are book cases that are basically 18 inch cavities loaded with books. If i get floor speakers, this is where they will be placed.

* The living room has a mantle that is 4.5 feet high and extends the length of one of the 12' walls. The mantle is 18" deep. I have a pair of B&W 602 s3 up there now. They sound thin.
mmrump

Showing 2 responses by tpreaves

A front ported tower like the Paradigm Studio 100 or Studio 60 might work for you.They are always available here on Audiogon at good prices.You might want to think about a really good integrated amp instead of separates.This would also eliminate a set of ic's and a power cord.Just a thought.Good luck in your search.
This is a nice set that might interest you.Your budget will probably cover the shipping costs also.I have no affiliation with either of these sellers,just trying to help you out.Resell will be easy on these if you find out you don't care fot them.Enjoy.

intergrated Top of the line NAD integrated does all music well.

speakers Top of the line Studio Series,latest version.Sounds great with NAD equipment.