Challenging Critera - kids, space, $3500 budget

I'm looking for recommendations for a complete main living room audio system (no tv). I'm following advice from Agon amp/preamp forums to start with speakers, thanks to all who helped. I am not looking for "best speakers I've heard" opinions. Instead, I'm looking for recommendations for speakers for my particular application, AND recommendations for pairing speakers amp/preamps/IA's. I do not do chronic upgrades and I'm looking for something solid that I can live with for a long time. Here are the details of my situation:

* I listen to a wide range of music from jazz, 60's psychedelic, drone, metal, hip-hop, ambient and electronic.

* All of my music is digital.

* My budget is $3500 for the speakers AND amp/preamp

* I have a 2 year old. The room is not the main play room, but there is some activity. I do not want to use stands. They will be relatively protected, however I do not want cones near the floor if possible.

* The living room is 12X18 and there is a large (9 foot) opening to a dining room that is 12X14. I will use this system to listen in both rooms.

* I do not have space to have the speakers 2-3 feet from a wall. Under the Mantle, there are book cases that are basically 18 inch cavities loaded with books. If i get floor speakers, this is where they will be placed.

* The living room has a mantle that is 4.5 feet high and extends the length of one of the 12' walls. The mantle is 18" deep. I have a pair of B&W 602 s3 up there now. They sound thin.
mmrump

Showing 2 responses by knownothing

What are you using for a source? Computer, iPod, CD player? This will determine in large part what you should put behind it.

Agree with the idea of front ported speakers. In addition to the Paradigms, for floor standers I suggest these at around $2,000 or less:

-Aperion Audio 6T (Internet direct),

-B&W 683 (big), Focal 816V,

-Monitor Audio Silver RX8 (new product), and

-Rega RS5.

These all sound good, are more or less tolerate of placement near the rear wall, and are good looking IMHO.

For electronics also around the $2K price mark I suggest:

-Solid State integrated amp look at Cambridge Audio Azur 840C v2, Exposure 2010s, or NAD C-375BEE (new, good and cheap), Naim Nait 5i;

-Hybrid integrated look at Vincent Audio SV-236 MkII or Jolida 1501A;

-Tube integrated look at PrimaLuna Prologue two (this would match especially well with the Focal 816V speakers)

-Separates, I suggest Parasound P3 preamp and A23 amp or P3 plus the Odyssey Audio Stratos amplifier (Internet direct).