CES update 2009

Tomorrow, I will begin to share information about CES 2009. I just got back late tonight and will try and post a few pics and give a few highlights of the show. There were a lot of good systems and a lot of fun. Initial highlights were of course the MBL system, the Boulder Wilson system, my overall favorite for a few reasons I will detail later, and the Avantgarde System which was a surprise for me as I am not a horn fan as a general rule. The Boulder Wilson combination made me feel I could live without tubes...a big thing. It was really that good.....more later....
jallen

Showing 2 responses by gawdbless

Nice review.
I have a general question though, should the sound out of a pair of loudspeakers improve as the volume raises or should only the sound get louder but the quality remain the same as the loudness increases or even if it decreases?
Stanwal, you got some great gear in your set up, obviously you do like the British sound.I must say that I beg to differ from some of what you say. If what you are saying is correct then why do not the speaker manufacturers put on the spec sheet, only good at 80db, or 120db? I have only seen the 'volume' on a volume control and not the words 'sound quality control increase'. Joking aside, my Impulse H1's (in storage) do not improve when the volume is increased, they only got louder, louder still, and then very loud.......
I am not saying they are perfect by any stretch of the imagination. I agree that electrostatics may not be the best choice for crazy volume rock music (well my aged MG-1's are not anyway but are preferred for late night listening with a lower volume listening level due to their very open midrange), but that chap you knew obviously liked the sound of the Quads so much that he had to have a pair with lots of repair. My listening habit is the same whenever I put on a cd, I do it with both ears, although it depends whether I want to listen at a more sedate level, or want to crank it up to a frenziest eye popping level to annoy the neighbourhood.Usually the former, unless
it is Rage Against The Machine, or AC/DC then its warp 10 mr sulu for some mindless head banging boogie.My current Oris 150's fit the bill regardless of music, they play quiet or they rock the house and can cause a slight warble of the foundations. Some of what I am saying may seen contradictory, I like to fill my room with sound and its 27' long with the Oris 150's, and for late night listening I use the Magnepans MG-1 for much closer, lower level listening approx 8' or so from speakers.