CES 2013 - 4k and Ultra HD video thoughts

So I myself made it to CES for 3 days this year, and I also didn't really see so much regarding the future of consumer 4k technology! Yes, I did see more than a few 50-90" Flat panel 4k (ultra?) prototypes and "almost-ready-for-delivery" sets, but I also heard/saw VERY LITTLE in the way of proposed actual content delivery and media, and just as little in the way of 4k capable (up scaling?) players and 4k projectors. (In fact, the best pj demo's I saw were 1080p, 1080 anamorphic, and same in 3d) ..and I'm sure I missed a Sony or some JVC 4k chassis projection demo, but those have been around for some time now.
Honestly, my impressions from talking to attendees, venders, and manufactures all, was that 4k will surely be integrated into the markets in the near future, but that companies are most importantly concerned with the focus of bottom line profits with the current technology offerings that we have now! -n tomorrow will take care of itself, if they can all just simply stay in business.
Seriously! What I was getting was that companies are still struggling, the home theater industry is still sluggish, and they just want to move product -Plain and simple.
So, I kinda feelt like 4k will just "happen", and not so much resurrect the consumer video market. In fact I still feel that the average consumer is more than content with their HD satellite, DVD/Blu-ray collections, their Netflix, and their 50" 720P Best Buy LCD flat panels they got a deal on, a Christmas or 3 ago. Truth!
So when Ultra , 4k, er whatever, actually does happen, will everyone really care so much? I personally am not so sure. It really did appear that attendees were focused on what was the state of things, what current products meet their needs, the needs of their clients, and to just keep up with "the now", and what's currently on the electronics menu. And while I for one certainly DO look forward to, at least, affordable/available 4k(ish? - er utra HD "something") projection technology and content to eventually materialize, I have to be honest with myself, and admit that my "barely" HD Dish Network and Netflix movies still look great to me, on a large projected setup!
Excellent, actually...
Any others go to the Show, or have thoughts on any of this?
avgoround

Showing 4 responses by jwm

Your not even close. People were happy with their old tv's and then when HD came out, it took time but masses started buying in groves. This will happen with 4K, but not for a few years until it is less costly and when software is available. I love my last production run Pioneer Elite 60 inch plasma, but I will buy a 4K OLED eventually.
I agree they still did not beat the Kuro, but I think the OLED 4K eventually will. We will see.