Ceramic insulator cone under phono stage shocker!

I have used small ceramic insulator cones underneath my phono stage for quite some time.
Previous phono was a Gold note ph10 and it did not make ANY audible difference I could detect which way up the cones were so I had left them cone upwards.

When I changed my phono to a Manley Chinook I just left the cones same way.
This afternoon I decided to flip them over so cone down just to see.

I honestly could not and cannot believe the difference!
I may have lost a smidge of low bass but everywhere else is improved in spades.
Much more detail, resolution, air, imaging, dynamics.
Just completely shocking how much better a small change has made.

But I am perplexed why such a huge change on the Chinook where I noted nothing on the ph10?

Any theories here?
6db47fb2 f8db 415d a4f7 49a7b6ed12b0Ag insider logo xs@2xuberwaltz
So just the difference in size of the blanks had an audible impact?
Interesting.
I have on the way to me ;
Cocobolo knife blanks.
African Blackwood pen blanks
Bocote bowl blank. This is 6x6x3 which I WAS going to cut up into 1.5" knife blank sizes, maybe not now....
Yes the different size matters. On the electronics, the larger size adds more. warmth than the pen blank size. It did also on the speakers, but the result was just too much (for my needs). So back to the pen blank size.The types of wood I have tried also matter.
African Blackwood is a little more bass. (Since live in a ’over 55’ complex, I really don’t want ’more bass’ since bass is what really goes through the walls.. (I mentioned I can go in my bathroom to ’check’ for bass through the walls. And my speakers if I let them would certainly boom. I just do a lot to lessen the bass.) So the Aftrican Blackwood may be just right for anyone wanting a bit fuller bass besides clarity and warmer presentation. Plus even others have mentioned it is used under power transformers, and I find it is good under my conditioners.
The Cocobolo is a little more even through the full range Offering a bit of clarity and warmer presentation. I have described it as using warmer better tubes.. It seems to have more bass, but not enough to go through the walls on my test music.
I tried smaller pieces of Walnut, and was not finding much to say. One reason I mention stick to the really heavy dense wood.
I own a few other types, but have not really pinned down the exact attributes for them. (I have only been doing this for a little over a month? six weeks?)I jut ordered four Bolivian Rosewood 4x4" by 2" bowl blanks (I got the last 4) just to try THAT size under my Audio Research SP-15 preamp I use just for the phono stage. That has enough room under it for butcher blocks and the bowl blanks. I have no Bocote, so let me know if you use it. Bocote is also used in musical instruments. so that is a good sign for it's use!  
I do not know if the fact I use the exotic wood on TOP OF butcher blocks matters??? I really went all out and put butcher blocks on every shelf , and under every bit of kit. Some even doubled, like my TTs and the amplifier. In other posts I had mentioned the adding butcher blocks was similar to adding better interconnects. and sort of pricewise too. So if I spent $1000 on them, it was like adding one $1000 IC cable.
So I cannot separate the butcher blocks from the added exotic wood., on the effects part. 
One thing I noted a bit is that the knife scale is almost (well a little anyway) like the Golden ratio 1.61.. In that they are 1 to 1.5 to 2 times the final ratio. I do not know if that matters? Someone may make them fit that ratio by making them a bit skinnier.. Or making some larger ones to meet the ratio values.
Elizabeth
My rack is home made using 2 inch Butcher Blocks at 24x18 for each shelf.
The 4 legs are stainless all thread with stainless nuts/washers at top/ bottom of each block.
So infinitely adjustable for depth and level precisely.
So all mods to my equipment work on top of butcher blocks.
Likewise the effect cannot be separated except at speakers.
Everything sits on a tiled solid concrete floor which I think helps any boom,or resonance issues to start with.
My TT sits in a 40lb slab of solid birch and curly maple. Would love to make one from Cocobolo but holy moly the cost!

Looked at Gaboon Ebony and Katalox blanks too but also spendy.
Cool stuff Elizabeth / Thanks 
Everything  matters in this hobby.  Sure ceramic footers are fine, but brass works better in MY system.  ...what ever sounds best to you is the proper answer.