center channel placement ?

Here's the deal....

I have the old infinity kappa 8.1 vII's that I plan on using when I finish redoing my house. I wanted to use my 2 sets of 8.1's for front/rear & I planned on buying a set of 5.1 vII's to put above & below the TV for the center channel. Is that a good idea?? My room is only about 13 feet across so by the time I make room for the 73in TV, 2 stereo racks to hold amps/processors/etc & then room for my 8.1's I only have room above & or below the TV. Or should I stand the speakers up on the top of the TV? I will have a shelf there so that could work & I could make a piece to angle those speakers down??

If the speakers were up top that would give me a LOT more room for the DIY sub enclosure which was going to be under the stereo cabnets & partially under the TV. I was going to leave room for a center channel down there but if I would be better to set the center speakers above the tv I can do that.

any thoughts/suggestions? I do not have room to put the centers on each side of the TV.....

Is laying speakers on their side bad or is it ok??

THANKS!!!
128x128viggen900

Showing 1 response by viggen900

thanks for the info!!!

I was debating on buying 2 infinity kappa centers (use the same tweeters I use & a 5.25in driver) but I am concerned they might not have enough mid.... Those would be cheaper & easier to position then the kappa 5.1's but the 5.1's would defiantly give better mid/midbass.

So you think top/bottom is bad...... I was hopeing that if they are top/bottom they would image kinda like a L & R speaker does. Hopefully image in the middle of the screen & be angled up for the bottom one & down for the top speaker. If I do the kappa centers I could just as easily put them next to each other either under or above the TV