Celestion Model 100 enquiry

I purchased a pair of Celestion Model 100s based on audition, and cannot find much information on them. These are not the Ditton 100s. To the best of my knowledge based on Internet research these are 20 year old speakers. I'm getting a bit of buyer's remorse after installing them in my home and want to know more about them before I kick them to the curb. Any information that can be provided, good or bad, would be appreciated. I'm considering replacing them with a pair of Infinity intermezzo 2.6 powered speakers and don't know if I'm jumping from the frying pan into the fire. I have been unable to subscribe to bluebook which doesn't help either. Using Cambridge Audio Azur 740c, Pro-ject 6.1 w/Sumiko cartridge, Parasound P3, and PS Audio HCA2. Source material is very broad, Brubeck, Bach, AC/DC.
rg500g

Showing 1 response by justlisten

your speakers fit in between the early SL with wood cabinets, and SL with the Aerolam aluminum cabinets. I've found all of the iterations to be very good sounding.

the 100 came after and were cheaper than the aerolam ones, but shared a good deal of the innards

i still have SL600s, 2 pairs of Sl700, and a pair of 12SL. I just sold a pair of SL6 a week ago, so I am quite familiar with them

I run a pair of SL700 with the Celestion System 6000 subwoofer system.
Up till today, I used the other Sl700 with a Revel b15a subwoofer.

before buying the Revel, i tried an older cheaper Velodyne subwoofer which I found at a local used dealer for $225. Even with that cheaper sub, it improved the sound brining mid=bass warmth.

With your range of music preference, you may be best with a subwoofer.

After selling my Revel sub today, and running the SL700 full range, there was a lot lacking and with my music tastes not something I can enjoy.

I am very surprised to hear you found simple material congested. This is supposed to be the speakers strong point. ---I would have to believe you have an issue somewhere in your chain, or there are functional issues with your actual speaker. i should also note, I've always used tubes which seem to be a great match with all the ones I own.

before you dump them, and add more money with the Infinity, --you may want to just try a subwoofer with it, even something at Best Buy, where you could try and I believe return within their return policy.