CD vs CD/SACD Player – Tube-based or Not

Some of you might have read my previous threads asking for recommendations on CD/SACD player. That was roughly 6 months ago when I first started building my hi-fi system.
Now that I’ve settled on the back end of my system, I’ll finally select my digital source. My system consists of the following:

Harbeth C7-es3 on Sound Anchor (3-posts) speaker stands

Pass Labs XA30.5 – Power amp

Ayre K-1xe - Pre-amp

CD player – a modest 15-year old Philips CD player(the weakest link which I need to upgrade)

I want to get a CD or CD/SACD player that matches my system in terms of synergies, quality and performance. While I’ve done a lot of readings/research, it’s hard to narrow down on my selections before some fundamental questions are answered.

1. CD player vs CD/SACD player: my preference for music are vocal, some pop, classical (symphony, chamber), some rock, blue. I know the selection of musice in SACD is somehow limited.

2. Tube-based vs Solid State CD player: would my system benefit from tube-based CD player since both my pre- and power-amps are solid state? What’s the advantage and disadvantage of tube-based player? What’s the difference in sound?

3. So many choice in my price range (mostly used):

Ayon CD-5, CD-2s

Ayre C-7eMP, Ayre C-5eMP

Audio Research CD-7

BAK 51

Esoteric SA-50, X-05, X 03se, K-07

Luxman D06
SONY 5400ES, Sony 5400ES modified by Modwright (with tube output),

Oppo 95/105 modified by Modwright (with tube output)

4. I want to get a player with solid transport, digital output, balanced output(preferred); dynamic/solid bass, extended treble and most importantly fuller mid-range with great, accurate, lush presentation for vocal recordings.

What’re your recommendations and why? Thanks.
r0817

Showing 1 response by mallen123

if you go with Oppo Modwright , go with the 105.

I have both, with no mods, and the 105 is clearly better.

I can't speak to whether the 105 with Modwright is in the same league as the other higher end brands however.

I have compared my stock 105 to both my older Wadia 16i and my new Esoteric K01, and it is not anywhere close in either Redbook or SACD. Not a fair comparison from a price perspective, but it does show you get significant improvements as you move up in digital gear.

There are other reviews of the Modwright 105 in Positive Feedback that you might want to check out.

I have an all tube system so prefer the SS Esoteric to balance it out as tube based CD players seem to be reviewed as a bit slower/softer.
I am very happy with my Esoteric sound, and their history of support and reliability is well documented.

If you get the Oppo 105, you will also need a monitor to set it up from a menu perspective.
I keep the 105 in my system to play DVD audio,blue ray video music and stream Pandora. For it's price point, I think its a great value and I could happily live with it as my only 2 channel SACD and redbook player if I had to stay under $2K. ted.