CD Tweeks...Improve Ripped SQ?

Hi All,

I'm seriously considering coming over to the geek side of music playback. :-}

All of my shinny polycarbonate and aluminum platters have had CD treatment done to them.

The process I use is:
1) Optrix Cleaner
2) Audio Desk CD Lathe with black edge marker
3) Nespa Pro 30sec treatment
4) Acoustic Revive RD-3 Demagnetize

So the big question is...

Does a treated ripped CD sound better than an untreated ripped CD?

Anyone A/B a standard CD to a treated CD after ripped to a hard drive?

Thanks,
128x128rodge827

Showing 3 responses by rodge827

Gents,

I asked this question purely out of curiosity. My intent wasn't to start any kind of useless arguments or childish questions.

I had gotten into a discussion with a compu-phile who was adamant about the difference. I thought that bits were bits and bit perfect would be perfect? Since I currently don't subscribe to geek audio I thought to ask the question.

Of all the tweeks mentioned #'s 2&3 made the most improvement to sound quality on standard commercial CD's, DVD's and Bluray discs. #'s 1&4 not so much.

I have been wanting to come over to the disc-less side for some time, but to date haven't heard a computer system that rivals my transport.

audioengn and Mapman thanks for the replies.
audioengn I think I will try your suggestion.

Any others do a comparison?
Mapman,

Thanks for the offer.
Have to run at the moment, and will contact you in the near future.
Rodge827,

I reread this thread again and I noticed, including me, no one asked you if you ran the test and listened for any differences.

So I will ask now, did you?

No I haven't ripped and compared an untreated to treated disc.
Fact is I have never ripped a disc to a hard drive, computer, NAS, etc...

I have however compared treated to untreated discs and found that there is a difference in sound quality for the better. When my girlfriend moved in (now my wife) we had a lot the same CD's. As I learned about different CD treatments I did A-B tests by treating my discs and comparing them to hers. As mentioned in my first post I wondered if said treatments made a difference in ripped discs to a file.

I have been wanting to go to a disc-less set up for some time but until now haven't felt that the effort was worth the reward. Comp audio has come a long way and there are many new products and software that have brought the sound quality up to where it is acceptable to these ears.

I had planned to sell off my modded 47 Labs Flatfish transport and the CD treatments to help fund a server, dac, power supplies, and NAS. If the treatments made a difference I would keep them if not then they would go.